What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian (Rogers) iPad 3G travelling to UK

wayner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will be going to the UK in a few weeks and I want to be able to use my iPad via a 3G network. My home carrier is Rogers in Canada.

What are my options for a prepaid microsim in the UK? Should I just buy/acquire a microsim when I get there or should I buy it online ahead of time? How do prepaid cards work, I go back to the UK every couple of months, can I continue to use the same card? Does my data expire after a certain period - ie. if I buy 1GB does that expire in one month and if I am back in two months will I have to buy another 1GB?

Lionroar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried to do the same thing with my Bell iPad 3G. I went to a number of carriers and eventually got a free SIM from O2 so that I could sign up online (the other carriers I visited wanted me to sign up at the shop, but wouldn't accept my Canadian credit card. The O2 guy said I could buy a prepaid credit card and that would work when I sign up online.

I got the prepaid card, but there was a big problem - I just had my iPad with me, but not my laptop with iTunes. You need to install the SIM, connect it to the laptop and then let iTunes download the software for O2 and then sync. You can't do it all on the iPad, since the SIM is looking for the communication software from its carrier. I gave up.

As I understand it, you get access for the month (or whatever period you sign up for) only. You can't do 2 weeks, take a break, and then do 2 weeks later.

Next time I'll have to take my Macbook also.

OP
W

wayner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will have my laptop (Dell - WinXP) along as well so I guess I can do that if I have to but I am wondering if that will cause me problems. My iPad is "synched" with my main desktop PC. Is it a problem if I then use it with iTunes in conjunction with another PC?

PhotoJim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
blog.photojim.ca
Orange might be an option. They let me register my Canadian credit card with my prepaid voice account (6p/minute to call Canada on their Camel prepaid SIM). They'll be the ones I ask the next time I go to the UK.

Buzzfriend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travelled to the UK with my New Zealand purchased I pad. My prepaid SIM from NZ would not roam but I bought a prepaid sim from Three. I bought it from a store as to buy in line will not work without a UK card. The disadvantage was that I had to wait until we visited a larger town as we arrived at heathrow and travelled directly to the cotswolds. Price was (I think) £20 for 3G that lasted three months . Enjoy yourntrip

OP
W

wayner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I travelled to the UK with my New Zealand purchased I pad. My prepaid SIM from NZ would not roam but I bought a prepaid sim from Three. I bought it from a store as to buy in line will not work without a UK card. The disadvantage was that I had to wait until we visited a larger town as we arrived at heathrow and travelled directly to the cotswolds. Price was (I think) £20 for 3G that lasted three months . Enjoy yourntrip
Good to hear Buzzfriend - I will be staying in Central London so I shouldn't have the issues that you had.

By the way, I will be travelling to NZ for the RWC in Sep/Oct. Any ideas if I can get a 3G microsim in New Zealand just as we are discussing for the UK?

Buzzfriend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Wagner

Contests on making the choice to experience RWC live! YES..you can purchase either a Vodofone ( apple's preferred provider) or or Telecom Microsim. My iPad came with a VF one but i've swooped to Telecom. I'm a huge VF fan and loading and using their sim and prepaid plans is easier...but you only get 3G in the main centers(plus telecom is faster). My telecom sim worked a treat while camping in Ohiwa(look that one up...awesome spot). If you decide to go Telecom let me know and I can give you a few hints to make it less painful. Telecom know about the problems but don't seem to care and I suspect the I pad community will move back to VF once they upgrade their network. Cost..I pay $29.95 for 500mg but I get a bonus 1g. VF $20.00 for 250mg or $50.00 for 1g(I think). Easily bought from a store...and you'll need it...there is little free wifi here( unlike the UK).

Most reactions

Latest posts