What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you use the iPad 4 charger with iPad Air?

dave_100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I put it in the Air and it says "accessory may not be supported"- is it safe to use, and why would it say that?

Thanks

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Are you using the cable that came with the Air?

Apple is concerned about people using devices that might not be safe, so based on certain signals the Air detects, it will display that message (Note the wording says "May", so it is not saying it isn't supported). I have gotten it many times when using non-Apple gear to charge my Apple stuff...but I ignore it and then note whether it works or not. 99% of the time it does. If you don't feel comfortable taking the risk, then you should get the approved charger and use that. If you do feel comfortable, and it works, you are good. But if anything goes wrong, you bear the responsibility for that. :(

OP
D

dave_100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No, I'm using the wall plug and cbale that came with the iPad 4, and trying to charge the iPad Air with it, will this be ok? All completely original and genuine.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, I'm using the wall plug and cbale that came with the iPad 4, and trying to charge the iPad Air with it, will this be ok? All completely original and genuine.
You should be able to charge with these also. They're built for devices with the lightning connector. I wonder why you get that popup, though.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
read in news that apple concerned that cheap knock off chargers may not regulate voltage well enough and damage the IC. FWIW. but an Apple charger should be fine despite vintage I'd guess.

Most reactions

Latest posts