What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can you use smart cover on ipad 1?

mikeos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi all,
does the smart cover for ipad 2 fit the ipad 1?
and if not, does anyone know if any 3rd party cases of a similar design will be available for first gen ipad?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the smart cover will fit the iPad 1 and I don't think there are any alternatives (yet). I actually hope there will be alternatives sooner or later though. I know that the iPad 2 has some magnets in it to help support the smart cover.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Smart Cover will not fit or work with the iPad1, unfortunately. The iPad2 has a number of magnets inside its case to secure the Smart Cover in place. Those magnets were not fitted to the iPad1, so the cover would not 'attach' to it.

In addition, the Smart Cover automatically switches the iPad2 on and off. It does this by having some magnetic field sensors inside the case of the iPad2 that detect when the cover is being folded back or being replaced. Once again, unfortunately, the iPad1 does not have those sensors.

Although a third party vendor might be able to produce a cover that *looked like* the Smart Cover for the iPad1, since the iPad1 does not have those magnetic field sensors, there's no way that this pseudo Smart Cover could turn an iPad1 on and off.

Tim
Scotland

DDWO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
are magnets dangerous for the ipad1?

I was thinking about applying an adhesive magnet to my ipad1 to allow my stylus to adhere to it. But I am not certain if this could cause any internal damage to my iPad. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, D

Most reactions

Latest posts