What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can the iPad dock serve as PC keyboard?

MIKERYAN7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new owner of iPad and have the dock keyboard. When my dock is charging my iPad or just connected to PC via rear connector, it is not recognized by PC. I wanted to see if when I travel I can get a connector that will allow my PC to use this keyboard.

Metairieman55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Confused

Mike, my kbd/dock is recognized by my PC. Normally, a USB port sensing will happen when plugged in. Try opening your ITunes on the PC first to see if that senses it. Is your pad correctly seated on the connector? Try another USB port. Or you may need to invest in a powered USB hub.

LeonCJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully I'm resurrecting this thread so that someone can enlighten me.

Mike, did you ever find a solution to this? I've been searching all over for an answer and yours seems to be the only question in relation to using the iPad keyboard dock as a functioning PC keyboard.

Basically, I would like to know whether it's possible (drivers/workarounds) to use the iPad hard keyboard/"Keyboard dock" as a keyboard for my PC. Just a standard USB keyboard to type with on a PC. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Mike, did you ever find a solution to this? I've been searching all over for an answer and yours seems to be the only question in relation to using the iPad keyboard dock as a functioning PC keyboard.

Basically, I would like to know whether it's possible (drivers/workarounds) to use the iPad hard keyboard/"Keyboard dock" as a keyboard for my PC. Just a standard USB keyboard to type with on a PC. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I guess everyone is going to ask you this question, but why would you want to use the iPad keyboard dock which, in the UK, costs about £55 as a PC keyboard when dedicated PC keyboards can be purchased for about one-tenth that cost?

Anyway, to answer the question, I don't think there's any direct way of connecting the two. An indirect way, of course, would be to use the keyboard dock with the iPad and then use the iPad to control your PC with a remote desktop program - such as the free Splashtop - that allows you to connect wirelessly to your PC and control it as though you were sitting at your PC's keyboard. Then you type on the keyboard dock and the key strokes would be sent - via your iPad and WiFi - to your PC. It would be the simplest way to use the keyboard dock as a keyboard for your PC. Have a look at the app in the App Store.

It's very easy to use - no complicated setting up. It needs a small app to be running on your PC, which you can download from the Developer's website for free and the free app on your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
I would image that you need to connect the 30pin connector to your pc, instead the USB coming out the back.

This would mean using a female 30pin to female USB, such as
http://www.cablejive.com/universal-dock-converter
As well as a male to male USB, for example
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Foot-USB-Male-Cable-Beige/dp/B000BSJFFC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301713384&sr=8-2[/ame]

Perhaps there are other and cheaper solutions. In any case, it is definitely not a straight forward task to attach the keyboard dock to a PC.

Last edited:

LeonCJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I guess everyone is going to ask you this question, but why would you want to use the iPad keyboard dock which, in the UK, costs about £55 as a PC keyboard when dedicated PC keyboards can be purchased for about one-tenth that cost?

Anyway, to answer the question, I don't think there's any direct way of connecting the two. An indirect way, of course, would be to use the keyboard dock with the iPad and then use the iPad to control your PC with a remote desktop program - such as the free Splashtop - that allows you to connect wirelessly to your PC and control it as though you were sitting at your PC's keyboard. Then you type on the keyboard dock and the key strokes would be sent - via your iPad and WiFi - to your PC. It would be the simplest way to use the keyboard dock as a keyboard for your PC. Have a look at the app in the App Store.

It's very easy to use - no complicated setting up. It needs a small app to be running on your PC, which you can download from the Developer's website for free and the free app on your iPad.

Tim
Scotland

Hi Tim, many thanks for your response.

In answer to your question, I already have the keyboard dock since I purchased the iPad a while ago, and my PC keyboard has just stopped working. Luckily, it's a HP Touch PC, so I'm using the on-screen keyboard as a temporary solution until I get payed (which is a bloody pain!) - so I wouldn't be spending £55, I already have this and would be putting it into good use. And yes, I have such apps installed, connected through a VNC client ton a server on the PC, was just hoping for a more straightforward solution as more of a 'Plug & Play' setup.

Thanks a lot for your advice nonetheless, greatly appreciated.
Leon

LeonCJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would image that you need to connect the 30pin connector to your pc, instead the USB coming out the back.

This would mean using a female 30pin to female USB

Perhaps there are other and cheaper solutions. In any case, it is definitely not a straight forward task to attach the keyboard dock to a PC.

Never considered this. I guess this is the only straightforward albeit messy solution to use it without connecting via wifi as a remote desktop connection. Although by the time I would have purchased the cable I could have probably purchased a cheap keyboard until payday. (sorry had to remove links to be able to quote you)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another problem you'd have with a wired connection is sorting out the 30 pin connector - although there are web sites that publish the connectivity of the 30 pin iPad interconnect, understanding how that could be transformed into making the Apple keyboard connect over USB would seem to me to be a difficult problem as it's not completely clear that the keyboard interfaces to the iPad using standard USB protocols. I would pop down to Maplin and buy one of their £3 keyboards....

Tim
Scotland

LeonCJ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another problem you'd have with a wired connection is sorting out the 30 pin connector - although there are web sites that publish the connectivity of the 30 pin iPad interconnect, understanding how that could be transformed into making the Apple keyboard connect over USB would seem to me to be a difficult problem as it's not completely clear that the keyboard interfaces to the iPad using standard USB protocols. I would pop down to Maplin and buy one of their £3 keyboards....

Tim
Scotland

I'm unfortunate enough to live on the Isle of Man, where price is concerned. We don't have a Maplin, or any other such retailer but for private sole-trading PC Stores. Not going to find a cheap enough one (certainly not £3, that's amazing!) to hold out on buying a decent keyboard for keeps rather than spending £20/£30 for just a temporary one. May as well just wait it out and buy a nice Logitech or something for a little more on payday. Was just hoping i could simply plug in the iPad dock whilst i have it and use over standard USB cable with the addition of a driver, but never mind. Cheers!

Most reactions

Latest posts