What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can send text to some contacts with new ipad air

priop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i can send text from my old ipad but on my new ipad air some don`t go thru.any ideas why?thanks for any help

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
i can send text from my old ipad but on my new ipad air some don`t go thru.any ideas why?thanks for any help

Hello Priop and welcome to the forum! :) Your message is rather terse and vague - please provide more information: 1) Which iPad models do you own (assume the 'Air' is the most recent one?); 2) What iPadOS is installed on each; and 3) How are you sending these messages - assume from the same Wi-Fi network in your home or another option? In the meantime, take a look at this Macworld Article from last year which may offer a solution. Good luck - Dave

OP
P

priop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sorry i meant to say can`t send messages to some contacts.anyway t it`s new ipad air 2.the old i pad is about 5 years old and no problem sending messages from that machine to all phone contacts.the new ipad sends to most but it seems that it won`t send to android device

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPads won't send SMS messages by themselves. They need to be paired with your iPhone. You probably did this with the old iPad so long ago that you don't remember.

On your iPhone in Settings > Messages select Text Message Forwarding and make sure your new iPad is turned on.

On the iPad in Settings > Messages under Send Receive make sure that Start New Conversations From is set to your phone number. This is not necessary to use SMS on the iPad, but it does help keep conversations from getting fragmented.

Background: Messages on the iPhone and iPad's use two different message services. iMessage is Apple's service. It has a lot of extra features but only works with an internet connection, and only with other Apple devices. SMS (and MMS) is the standard cell phone message system. It does not use the internet, but it works on all phones. iPads and other non-phone devices need a paired iPhone to send and receive SMS messages in the Messages app. They all need to use the same Apple ID/iCloud account.

Apple devices will use the more capable iMessage system when sending to other Apple devices. They fall back on SMS when sending to non-Apple devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts