What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Option to "Buy More Tone". It working on iPad Air or iPhone Contacts

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Noticed and error in the title after posting and cannot find a way to edit it. The title should be:

Option to "Buy More Tones" not working on iPad Air or iPhone 5 Contacts

I am setting up ringtones for my kids and text tones. A long time ago I purchased one to use with my daughters but I wanted to find a different one for each daughter today. I wanted to used the phone for calls and texts and, obviously, just a text one on my iPad Air. Since I have the same problem on both devices I am hoping the solution is the same for both.

When I go to the specific contact and select to edit the contact, I scroll down to the phone or text options. When I get the ringtone screen for either purpose, when I touch to buy more tones, it is not doing anything. It did a long time ago. That was how I got the one I used for both my daughters and I also purchased some holiday ones.

It seems now, that the link to purchase more tones does not work. I am thinking a I did something in my settings since then that is preventing it. Can someone provide some troubleshooting places I can look? I will continue looking on my own in the meantime.

I went into my restrictions and allowed in app purchases and that did not do anything.

Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
On the iPad, try this: in Settings - Sound tap one of the sounds (e.g. Ringtones). At the top right, you'll find "Store" on that page. When you tap it, you'll be directed to iTunes Store with it's ringtones.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the iPad, try this: in Settings - Sound tap one of the sounds (e.g. Ringtones). At the top right, you'll find "Store" on that page. When you tap it, you'll be directed to iTunes Store with it's ringtones.

Weird, that is not working either. Not on the iPad Air or the iPhone.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you able in iTunes Store - Music - More to select Tones?
image.jpg

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I turned off restrictions completely and was able to do it. There must be some setting in the restrictions, other than allowing in-app purchases that was restricting it. The weird thing is is that after I was done, I turned restrictions back on, I did nothing other than turn restrictions on and off, and prevent in-app purchases, and now it works. The same thing for the iPhone. It is very odd.

I couldn't find a good one. They really don't have any good ones, or very many to choose from. Ended out with the Mario Bros because she used to play that. I couldn't even find the ones I had purchased a while ago.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've found a few good ringtones in the past, but it took a lot of digging. Then again, I'm very picky on the subject. I don't go for the 'funny' ones. I don't want it to sound like some random music, which I'll probably ignore. And I want it to be clear and crisp.

Mostly I would searched for old movies and other things I liked, then spend hours combing through the results.

Here are the ones I decided to buy. You might find a couple you like.

• Batman - Authentic Movie Theme
  • Chicken Dance (Dance Little Bird)
  • The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly (my current ring tone)
  • The James Bond Theme
  • The Muppet Show Theme
  • The Pink Panther Theme

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Update in case others find this an issue. I was confusing the Apps Store with iTunes. I had iTunes turned off when restrictions were turned on. This prevented iTunes purchases. I was thinking the ring tones were apps for some crazy reason. I blame brain drain!

When I turned restrictions off, of course, iTunes Store was no longer unavailable. It dawned on me later when the iTunes icon was all of a sudden visible. I forgot all about iTunes. I don't purchase music or anything from iTunes, just the occasional (this was just the second time Inused iTunes) ringtone. Therefore, I did not even think about it.

Thanks for the ringtone suggestions, Twerpoet. I am also picky. I try to use ones that are not annoying and obnoxious, but that are able to be heard and get my attention. They need selections from oldies not just the new music. I was hoping for 50's or 60's. Not interested in the apps to create ringtones.

This was a good lesson though because it not only reminded me of iTunes, but I noticed I could create a vibration pattern for texts and calls to match my kids. I used the rhythm their names create.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ahhh. That makes sense. I'm glad you figured it out.

Ringtones are very personal. That, or you use something that sounds like a phone. Before the iPhone's included Sci-Fi ringtone that is what I did. You can still find that one under the classic ringtones in Settings > Sounds > Ringtones.

Most reactions

Latest posts