What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can ppt files be edited on iPad keynote?

Wcgibbons

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Newbie question:

Thinking of getting an iPad, and my main justification for the price is the ability to improve my presentations (I'm a lecturer).

I have all of my lectures on ppt format, and I would like to know if they can be edited after importing to keynote on iPad?

Ideally I would like to simply "jazz up" my presentations without having to re-do them from scratch. Is that possible? To edit existing ppt files on iPad keynote?

Thanks.

mac mini * Mac OS X (10.6.4) * iphone OS 4.0 *

Hudmaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if you aren't able to simply email yourself the ppt, then open in it Keynote... the other solution I have would require the iWork Suite on your Mac Mini. And if you just wanted to buy the iPad to make your keynotes looks better and already had iWork on your Mac, you wouldn't buy and iPad. I know that the Mac version of Keynote can handle all .ppt, but I'm not certain the iPad version can. I'll try it soon, and post the results here.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad Keynote program is a stripped down version of the Mac program. But it can import .ppt and .pptx files and can export .ppt and .pdf files - as well as native Keynote format. So transferring files back and forth between a PC/Mac and the iPad is not a problem at all. As one of the earlier respondents noted you can either email the files to yourself or use a cloud server, such as Apple's MobileMe iDisk or use a number of third-party apps, such as GoodReader.

Files that you originate on the iPad will display 100% OK on a Mac or PC. Files that you transfer from a Mac/PC to an iPad may have some problems if your files are complex or have 'unusual' characteristics. You'll see that this is a hotly debated topic on the Forum. Of course, what you consider a 'complex format' may seem an everyday format to someone else, so it's impossible to predict what problems you might have.

I use Keynote for presentations too and you 'get to know' when there are going to be problems. Use of unusual fonts can be an issue; the iPad has a relatively restricted range available, for instance.

If you have an Apple store nearby, I'd go and sit and try out an iPad for an hour or so. Most of the iPads on display will have Keynote pre-loaded, although there's no easy way to import a sample presentation in-store that I know of, since the iPad doesn't have a USB port and, even with the USB adaptor, cannot directly import .ppt files - they have to be imported over WiFi or 3G.

Tim
Scotland

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some issues with smart draw images in PowerPoint translating across to keynote but found a fantastic app called touch draw which replicates these images and more and imports to keynote. I haven't looked back since. I use presentations daily in my role for training and information. The tools in keynote with speaker notes and the red pen gadget (it has a built in gadget like a laser pointer which can be handy when trying to highlight something) are better than PowerPoint. Totally recommend but be prepared for some dodgy conversions of smart draw images when you first import.

sxu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, if you aren't able to simply email yourself the ppt, then open in it Keynote... the other solution I have would require the iWork Suite on your Mac Mini. And if you just wanted to buy the iPad to make your keynotes looks better and already had iWork on your Mac, you wouldn't buy and iPad. I know that the Mac version of Keynote can handle all .ppt, but I'm not certain the iPad version can. I'll try it soon, and post the results here.

Why I cannot open ppt file in Keynote when I emailed a ppt file to myself?

Most reactions

Latest posts