What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can not add Gmail through Exchange

IgorOV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just bought the 4th gen of iPad and when got home and started setting it up, noticed that could not add my gmail accounta through exchange as done on my iphone and old ipad

Also notived that when i restored factory settings on old ipad could not add there too

I seems as if google is having some problem

Before restoring the old ipad, it worked normally.

I mean, the ones which have already an account added s exchange, can go ok
If you want to add ffrom now on, it wont work.

Hs anyone gone through this issue too?

Regards

Igor

OP
IgorOV

IgorOV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi J.A., thanks for your help, but that does not apply to me.

Let me explain clearer, because I re-read my thread and noticed I wasnt really clear.

I can ADD to exchange option my gmail account, but after that going to iphone/ipad mail, can not sync the emails.

it says: cannot get mail the connection to the server failed

it seems as if the ones who are already using are able to keep the accounts, the ones who are trying to start using will not be able.

OP
IgorOV

IgorOV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry too... had replied before you post the correct one

I had just bought the 4th gen of ipad and could not set it up... got so angry because seemed to be a factory problem.... but HOTMAIL and others were OK.
Even so, I went back to the apple store and asked them to test on their showroom's ipads and ALL OF THEM had the same problem, BUT my old IPAD and also my IPHONE are still working great, and I had set up my iphone5 in the beginning of FEB13

Weird, but I hope GOOGLE reconsider that decision and let us use as before.

Thanks for your light, at least I know GOOGLE is doing that

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been wondering how Google was differentiating between the old Exchange setups that are supposed to keep working, and the new ones. I'd hoped it was purely by account, but from the sounds of it, it's by device.

That means those upgrading their device will need to be prepared to use GMail with the default setup (no push), or use the GMail app, or both.

OP
IgorOV

IgorOV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been wondering how Google was differentiating between the old Exchange setups that are supposed to keep working, and the new ones. I'd hoped it was purely by account, but from the sounds of it, it's by device.

That means those upgrading their device will need to be prepared to use GMail with the default setup (no push), or use the GMail app, or both.

I believe once you setup the account using exchange you get some configs at the first sync and that config stopped being given to the devices.

Once you delete your accounts (if you have more than one gmail) and try to add them again you will see they wont work anymore

It is like m.google.com wAs for getting the first sync and then after that mail client gets new config and synced from another server given by that first sync

I may be wrong but it is the first thing that passed through my head

What do you think?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
But you did not delete your GMail account, did you? The change was that you got a new device, and can no longer set it up using Exchange. Or I misunderstood what you are saying?

Or possibly you meant deleting the account from the iPad, and then you can't set it up anymore. Possible, and something I'm not willing to test, so no way to be sure at this point. That's if I can find an archived copy of the setup instructions.

At any rate, Google knows what devices I'm using. Each device had it's own setup for syncing multiple calendars under the Exchange setup. I can no longer find the page for this. I suspect it's gone, just like the setup instruction page is gone. Which means if I want to change what calendars I sync I guess I'll have to use the IMAP setup.

Not a problem in my case, since I don't really use Google Calendars.

OP
IgorOV

IgorOV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But you did not delete your GMail account, did you? The change was that you got a new device, and can no longer set it up using Exchange. Or I misunderstood what you are saying?

Or possibly you meant deleting the account from the iPad, and then you can't set it up anymore. Possible, and something I'm not willing to test, so no way to be sure at this point. That's if I can find an archived copy of the setup instructions.

At any rate, Google knows what devices I'm using. Each device had it's own setup for syncing multiple calendars under the Exchange setup. I can no longer find the page for this. I suspect it's gone, just like the setup instruction page is gone. Which means if I want to change what calendars I sync I guess I'll have to use the IMAP setup.

Not a problem in my case, since I don't really use Google Calendars.

You are right
I had 3rd gen ipad and i bought the 4th gen for me so my wife got my 3rd gen.

I could not setup the accounts on the 4th, then had a lotof tests with the 3rd before deleting the accounts

I could re add once after deleted but later on during another test i could not anymore and also after restoring factory defaults settings, none of the accounts could be added again

So if google had my device unique id there i would still be able to re add, i believe thats not how they do.

I believe i cold re add some times and later on not anymore because it may be a kind of cache in the device.

This cache knew what the correct server to sync (not given anymore by the google server (m.google.com)).

Kind of that

I dont use calendar or contacts

I just need the email being pushed, coz in my jobs i must be fast with my client

Does anyone know a reason that could have made google take that action?

Regards

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My understanding is that they had a minor tiff with Microsoft about licensing ActiveSync. They didn't want to pay for tons of free users, so now the Exchange accounts are only available for paid/business users.

In their blog they just said they were moving to the Open (free) IMAP, CalDAV, and CardDAV services for free accounts. All but CardDAV have been available on Google for a long time. CardDAV got added about a month before the Exchange shutdown was announced.

So, if you are willing to go with a paid account, you could get your Exchange service back; and a few other perks as well.

Pricing ? Google Apps for Business | United States

Or you can use the GMail app on the iPad. It gets notifications. You'll want to keep the Mail app setup so you can send from other apps. There will be some duplication, but because all folders are on the server this should clear up in Mail each time you open it.

Most reactions

Latest posts