What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cant add gmail account to ipad2

narcosis73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have tried everything but when i try to add my gmail account to my ipad2 it says the username and password are wrong even though i can sign in with the same username and password on my main computer i have tried adding manually and through exchange but still wont work any ideas?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are a couple of possibilities, so let's try the easy stuff first. Several Members have had this problem and, on a number of occasions, the solution was simply that, by default, the iPad capitalises the first letter of what it thinks is a new sentence. So, if your password is all lower-case, check carefully as you type it in that the iPad isn't automatically setting the first letter to a capital. If it is, then backspace and cancel the Shift key before typing the first letter.

If it's not that problem, get back to us; we have some more ideas!! But, as I said, let's try the easy stuff first...

Good Luck

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is 'Settings', 'General', 'Restrictions', 'Accounts' set to 'Off'?

If it's 'On' this will prevent you from adding a new email account.

Don't worry - plenty more ideas if that one doesn't work....

Wow - it's windy up here in the NE of Scotland, hope it's not too bad with you...

Tim

Aargh - it should be 'On' - ie. allow changes...typo

OP
N

narcosis73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
have tried always putting in the full address and have tried to add it through exchange still no luck

udonthaveasoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This might help

I had a similar problem when i tried to help my brother submitting gmail account to his ipad2 this morning
I went crazy cause there was nothing wrong with anything but it just kept saying 'wrong password'
I tried his gmail account to my iphone there and what the hell it didn't work on my iphone neither
I came to think that this could be a network problem so i turned my iphone's hot spot on and hooked his ipad to it
And guess what it worked
This may sound strange though the problem was the name of the AP
I changed my brother's AP name which was consisted with alphabet, underbar and some numbers to just alphabets
Try this

udonthaveasoul

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant the name of the router you are using
Try hotspot or tethering connection if you got smartphone

Tallscots

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had the same issue with my parents IPAD2

Found that gmail seems to lock the account if it is accessed to frequently via the IMAP client.

Had to got to gmail\captcha to unlock account

now all ok

question

how do you increase the polling time for the mail app via IMAP?

Cheers

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
IMAP accounts are normally set up to Push. That means the server controls when email is pushed to the iPad. You can't set an interval for this, because it's instant.

However you can turn Push off, either for all mail or a single account.

You do this under Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch new Data. The Push on off switch turns off push for all accounts. This leaves you with the timed Fetch, which is also set here. The options are 15 min, 30 min, 1 hr, or manual. Manual will only fetch mail when you open the Mail app, or tap update when the Mail app is open.

If you want to select between Push or Fetch for an individual account tap the Advanced option. Not all account types offer Push as an option.

ICreateParanoia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you considered generating a new application password. Google uses a two-step verification system that most devices do not support, if you go into your account settings for your google mail account, you should have listed the different authorities given to devices. i.e. iphone, outlook, etc. once you generate the new App password, use that temp pass and put it on for your log in credentials on your ipad, do it quick cause sometimes they time out

Most reactions

Latest posts