What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can iPad connect to iTunes server?

magoomba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the D-Link DNS-323 with the iTunes server feature enabled.
I never used the feature before. My understanding is that a PC/Mac running iTunes can see the media on the server.

However, can the iPad connect to it and access the media over WIFI streaming? Do I need to buy an app or something?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the iTunes server feature and where can an Ipad user find it to install?

OP
M

magoomba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iTunes server feature is supposed to share all your media with any computer running iTunes.
It is part of the feature set of my NAS (network attached storage).
However, I want to know if the iPad can access it as it doesn't technically run iTunes.

OP
M

magoomba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, 100s of views and nobody knows anything?

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes will access any database connected to your computer when you tell it. If you have media data stored somewhere and want it to be in iTunes you do the add file or add folder command it will promt you to show the location to where it is and add it to th collection.
Just as any hard disk, external, internal of wifi connected.

Last edited:

Jimmyluvs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to stream music files to my ipad/iphone. Do you know of any app (other than air video) that will do that? I want to be able to stream over my network and from outside my local network.

Thanks

OP
M

magoomba

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes will access any database connected to your computer when you tell it. If you have media data stored somewhere and want it to be in iTunes you do the add file or add folder command it will promt you to show the location to where it is and add it to th collection.
Just as any hard disk, external, internal of wifi connected.

Yes I understand that a PC or a Mac running iTunes can access any library of media content.
I think you're talking about iTunes accessing a network library and then syncing it to the iPad
My question is specifically for streaming on the iPad (on the fly).

So far only Air Video app seems to fit the bill.
But you need to install the server component on a desktop/laptop.

Yoshiki UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would highly recommend Stream to Me. It can be bit tricky to setup with your router for access outside your own wifi network, but it can be done and it works great. It plays lots of formats - even Windows Media Center recorded TV shows. I get very good quality inside my wifi network.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can understand streaming movies to save space but why not just use playlists and up load what you want. . Or buy a wifi memory stick if you need more space for songs

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use it to have access to my DVR, which is a Windows Media Center desktop with a 500GB media drive. I dont want to mess with playlists and deciding what I want on the ipad and when. With Stream to Me, anything I have at home can be with me. Nothing to do. Also, I dont really want ALL my music on the Ipad - it wouldnt fit. Again, I dont want to mess with juggling playlists and anticipating when I'll want to listen to what. I keep my favorites on the iPad, but if I'm in the mood for something else, I can pull it up and play it.

The downside is that its not 100% flawless. For example, right now, I cant get to my computer at home. It was working yesteray. Not sure what happened. Someone probably logged me off at home or something.

Otto

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why oh why is it possible to stream from a NAS to iTunes installed on a laptop over my wifi network; and is it impossible to do the same to an iPhone / iPad. Using the same playlists already on the laptop (which are stored by iTunes on that exact same NAS) or use genius or iTunes DJ!

I don't want to sync the iPad to my laptop and select songs there first. Or leave my laptop on and connect it to the stereo before I can excersise the desired control through the remote app.

I want to be able to use the iTunes interface from the iPad using the music stored on the NAS to listen to it privately with ear plugs; or plug it into the stereo for a broader audience. Similar to what I do now on the laptop, but then with the easy access and mobility of the iPad! (or iPhone)

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why oh why is it possible to stream from a NAS to iTunes installed on a laptop over my wifi network; and is it impossible to do the same to an iPhone / iPad. Using the same playlists already on the laptop (which are stored by iTunes on that exact same NAS) or use genius or iTunes DJ!

I don't want to sync the iPad to my laptop and select songs there first. Or leave my laptop on and connect it to the stereo before I can excersise the desired control through the remote app.

I want to be able to use the iTunes interface from the iPad using the music stored on the NAS to listen to it privately with ear plugs; or plug it into the stereo for a broader audience. Similar to what I do now on the laptop, but then with the easy access and mobility of the iPad! (or iPhone)

This post is pretty old, you may be better off posting a new question. There are several ways of streaming video now with apps and AirPlay, but since I'm not a big streamer of music, I can't answer your audio question exactly.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zumocast streams not only from what is in itunes, but anywhere else you tell it too. Works well... not just for audio and video but any kind of files.

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts