What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use a regular SIM card in the ipad?

Ghostinz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I have heard of this being done, but can't find anything concrete. I have heard of people cutting down to size a regular sim card from an AT&T phone and using it in the iPad. I did that. Fits fine, but something is not working. who knows, maybe it doesn't really work, but the sim card I am using is a 3g card from a spare phone. Maybe I was hoping for too much.
Any thoughts out there anyone? I keep getting the error, "the connection to the server was lost, please try again later"

one_piece

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can use regular sim card in the iPad just cutting your regular sim card (for the best result you Should use sim card which use for modem 3G or already activated for Internet connection) to ipad (we called it micro sim)

OP
G

Ghostinz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have cut it down. Is there a difference between a 3G sim card, and a 3G data plan card?

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a twincard from my iPhone 4, the twincard Is an identical copy of my cellphone simcard.

I resized the simcard to the microsim format and therefore Im able to send sms/mms stright from my ipad as well, just likde from my iPhone.

My Carrier to the iPhone & iPad.
Unlimited data/internet "up to 10 Mbit/s" (No up or down restrictions) :)
Unlimited sms/mms (To all carriers) :)
Unlimited voicecalls (To my carrier & verry low fee to other carriers)

The third option Is still not an option on the iPad. "yet"

45usd/month

drbf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a twincard from my iPhone 4, the twincard Is an identical copy of my cellphone simcard.

I resized the simcard to the microsim format and therefore Im able to send sms/mms stright from my ipad as well, just likde from my iPhone.

45usd/month

Did you get the twin from AT&T?

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score

45usd/month

Did you get the twin from AT&T?

Swedish carrier.

vijay2pvk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If anyone in bangalore wants to convert your normal sim to microsim for iphone 4 or ipad within 5 minutes then You can call me at 9916404237 ... sim conversion Rs.50

xochipillitzin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hacked my SIM following instructions online, It caught signal immediately.
I didn't bother testing it because data transfer is expensive in Mexico. I will soon.

The hack is delicate, you need a steady hand and a sharp knife and/or scissors.
Before you try your card, make sure it includes data, because voice plans won't work.

Different carriers will make you jump through hoops to get connected, I find Mexico certainly simple to connect, therefore is expensive, they just want your money.

My iPad may have come unlocked because I bought it in Mexico, don't know whether US iPads come locked but that would be silly, since they're not affiliated to Apple I don' think.

Doing a hack on an Apple product needs a little research, you may need the warranty. ;)

Last edited:

bundat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK, most, if not all iPads, come unlocked.

Using any SIM is straight forward. Cut it up, stick it in, set the APN, and you're done.

Of course, there are a few exceptions.
Last I heard, AT&T was actively blocking iPads from connecting to their network when not using an iPad specific data plan. Not sure about the validity of this claim, but it might be worth checking.

snakattak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all you Simsters,
Here in Australia I use our "National" carrier Telstra due to it's extensive coverage for my iPhone 4.
When we bought our iPad last year we found the most inexpensive option for 3G was with VodaFone and got one of their micro-sims on a "prepaid" basis. Trouble was remembering to "top it up" before the expiry to conserve the unused (initial 1Gb) data allowance... As it wasn't in daily "outdoor use" we're without data again, and last time we looked, it's become much more expensive to recharge, with the minimum cost rising from $9.95 to $49.95!
So I've done a little test earlier today and taken my iPhone 4 Telstra microsim and popped it into the iPad: no problemo! data works fine, so basically it would follow that any data plan enabled microsim should provide "Wireless 3G" freedom.
Now I see that a certain retailer is offering a VodaFone "dongle" for $99 ("half price") with 15Gb of included download and 365 day expiry. Me thinks that this ought to work in my favour, if the "dongle" sim is not a micro I'll get a "cutter" off eBay (~$20 shipped w/- adaptors to resize up to "sim") and simply insert modifed VF sim into iPad and have shiploads of data for the next year for peanuts.
I'll return with a report on the outcome of the "experiment"

Shaun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope my query is correctly posted here. I am about to visit Florida in March with my UK iPad. Other posts in this forum show that I can get a microSIM from AT&T for $15 (or free if I smile nicely) and a data package of 2Gb for $25. However I am worried that a US iPad may have a different OS version and therefore my "settings" page will not have the registration form that the US version uses to activate and pay AT&T SIM on-line. In the UK we can use several providers. Does AT&T still have a monoply on the US iPad or are there other providers I can approach? If it is a monoply this might be enforced by differences in the US iPad perhaps? Thoughts / reassurance would be welcome.

pricej636

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFAIK, most, if not all iPads, come unlocked.

Using any SIM is straight forward. Cut it up, stick it in, set the APN, and you're done.

Of course, there are a few exceptions.
Last I heard, AT&T was actively blocking iPads from connecting to their network when not using an iPad specific data plan. Not sure about the validity of this claim, but it might be worth checking.

I can confirm this. I swapped sims and set my APN to "phone". It worked fine, but that night I got an email from AT&T saying that if I continued to use my iphone sim card in my ipad they would shut my data off.

Sk1zb1t

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all you Simsters,
Here in Australia I use our "National" carrier Telstra due to it's extensive coverage for my iPhone 4.
When we bought our iPad last year we found the most inexpensive option for 3G was with VodaFone and got one of their micro-sims on a "prepaid" basis. Trouble was remembering to "top it up" before the expiry to conserve the unused (initial 1Gb) data allowance... As it wasn't in daily "outdoor use" we're without data again, and last time we looked, it's become much more expensive to recharge, with the minimum cost rising from $9.95 to $49.95!
So I've done a little test earlier today and taken my iPhone 4 Telstra microsim and popped it into the iPad: no problemo! data works fine, so basically it would follow that any data plan enabled microsim should provide "Wireless 3G" freedom.
Now I see that a certain retailer is offering a VodaFone "dongle" for $99 ("half price") with 15Gb of included download and 365 day expiry. Me thinks that this ought to work in my favour, if the "dongle" sim is not a micro I'll get a "cutter" off eBay (~$20 shipped w/- adaptors to resize up to "sim") and simply insert modifed VF sim into iPad and have shiploads of data for the next year for peanuts.
I'll return with a report on the outcome of the "experiment"

hey mate, would love to hear how this goes. i'm with vodafone as well, the 'net on the sim works on my n95 over 3g so i'm assuming if i cut it up using something like u were talking about off ebay, that would work? obviously i would need to upgrade to a 3G ipad but that goes without saying lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts