What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I get my old Apple Bluetooth keyboard to work with iPad 2?

livfoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Apple wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard, model A1016. It was apparently designed in 2003. My new iPad 2 'sees' the keyboard, but after a time I get a message: "Pairing unsuccessful - 'my keyboard' not supported."

Is that it, or is there anything I can do to make the two devices work together? The kb works fine with my Mac Mini.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised at this. I have a similarly old Bluetooth keyboard - not that model though - but designed at the same time and I have no problem with it at all. I must admit though that pairing it was a bit of a hit-and-miss affair, particularly typing in the pairing code. I usually forget the order in which I have to do this and end up with more-or-less the same result as you, so it might be worth trying some other combination of 'doing things'

I can't offer any specific advice (though powering down the iPad completely, rather than simply putting it to sleep as most people do normally works wonders) - I hope other Members have more helpful 'advice' than mine....:(

Tim

OP
L

livfoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, but no go. Since reading your reply, I have changed the batteries in the kb, checked that it works with my newest Mac (2008 MacBook), powered down the iPad and tried again, but sadly with the same result. I wonder if there is anything in the Apple knowledge base - I will take a look, but I haven't much hope.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, but no go. Since reading your reply, I have changed the batteries in the kb, checked that it works with my newest Mac (2008 MacBook), powered down the iPad and tried again, but sadly with the same result. I wonder if there is anything in the Apple knowledge base - I will take a look, but I haven't much hope.

Don't give up - it's the more difficult problems that are the most interesting...

I'm onto this - let me know your KB research results, but I simply can't see why this won't work....

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You probably don't make enough mistakes. This was one of mine. Nothing like a good mistake to fix a fact in your memory. :)

It may not help anyway, but it's worth checking.

Last edited:

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's true. Bluetooth devices are very faithful. And while a new suitor can discover one that's already paired with another device, convincing her to break her engagement is near impossible. I, too, have discovered that keyboards are not like Congressmen. They don't cheat. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's true. Bluetooth devices are very faithful. And while a new suitor can discover one that's already paired with another device, convincing her to break her engagement is near impossible. I, too, have discovered that keyboards are not like Congressmen. They don't cheat. :)

:rolleyes: And unlike a congressman, I can actually afford a keyboard.

Most reactions