What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I connect an USB modem to ipad and browse?

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a question of semantics, guys. A 30 pin connector is Apple's version of USB...
But its not just semantics. The dock connector on the bottom of the iPad (or any of Apple's iDevices) is their own proprietary connector. It does not conform to any of the established USB connector standards. Remember, the "U" in USB stands for UNIVERSAL and the dock connector is anything but universal. There is no other device from any manufacturer (that I know of) that uses Apple's 30 pin connector. I know its confusing because you communicate and charge your iDevice through a cable with a USB connector on one end, but its not USB.

Yup and if you get a USB dongle you can connect a reg USB device.

But that doesn't mean it will work!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are stand along 3G wifi mi fi battery operated sticks that support up to 3 devices they use a standard sim card
Unsure what is available in USA however virgin mobile aust offers one ,for $149 aus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got one of those. This is what it does.

iPadVerizon.jpg

ipadscreenshot.png

Not to mention that it looks ridicules.

That is pretty silly, but if someone wrote drivers for it and software to take advantage it could in fact work.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
That is pretty silly, but if someone wrote drivers for it and software to take advantage it could in fact work.

Exactly, thats what i wanted to show. Even if it did work and someone made up some drivers to get it working (doubt it since this thing sucks 2 usb ports worth of power) I wouldn't be walking around with this thing attached to my iPad. Its just silly.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a wifi only ipad as well and I tether it to my droid while I am on the go. Most android phones if rooted can be used as a wifi hotspot and I know that a few other phones offer at feature as well. If your phone doesn't have wifi some will let you tether through a bluetooth connection. I don't pay any extra money to tether wirelessly so. This option works well for me.
The iPad will not tether through Bluetooth.

That is good to know. I hadn't tried and wasn't aware of that.

Most reactions

Latest posts