What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB720 Modem Question

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let me see if I can explain my question. I have Internet service from Verizon and have the USB plugged into a Cradlepoint router to my PC. My husband and I are able to use our IPad wifi only 1st gen at home. Is there a way to use the USB720 modem for road trips with the IPad? I realize there is no USB port for the IPad, would the camera connection kit make this possible?

Thanks!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No. USB support on the iPad is limited to cameras, keyboards, some of the lower powered USB sticks, and a few other misc devices. There is no support for a modem connection.

If you use the USB modem with a laptop, it might be possible to share the connectoin via the laptop's wifi. I can do this on a Mac, and am pretty sure Windows 7 can do the same thing. It would be redundant and awkward.

What you could do instead is upgrade your USB 720 modem to a Verizon MiFi hotspot. This can be connected to your computer just like the USB720 modem, or it can operate solo as a WiFi network that can have up to 5 devices connected.

I don't know what, if any, difference Verizon would charge plan wise. You would have to ask. To save cost you could look around on eBay and other sites to see who is selling used models.

OP
D

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No. USB support on the iPad is limited to cameras, keyboards, some of the lower powered USB sticks, and a few other misc devices. There is no support for a modem connection.

If you use the USB modem with a laptop, it might be possible to share the connectoin via the laptop's wifi. I can do this on a Mac, and am pretty sure Windows 7 can do the same thing. It would be redundant and awkward.

What you could do instead is upgrade your USB 720 modem to a Verizon MiFi hotspot. This can be connected to your computer just like the USB720 modem, or it can operate solo as a WiFi network that can have up to 5 devices connected.

I don't know what, if any, difference Verizon would charge plan wise. You would have to ask. To save cost you could look around on eBay and other sites to see who is selling used models.

Wow! You, sir, are a mind reader! I was going to ask about MiFi. Unfortunately, my 2 year contract for the USB isn't up till Nov., and I can't get an IPhone till Sept. for tethering.

If I was to find a used MiFi, would I be able to just plug n play, or would I have to work something out with Verizon?

Thanks so much for the great advice!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You would have to have Verizon transfer your plan to the MiFi.

When I bought my MiFi, some time ago, both he USB Modem and the MiFi had pretty much the same plan. The only real difference was the cost of the device. It that is still true Verizon should be willing to simply move your plan to the new device with no changes.

It would be just like having them transfer the plan to a new phone. Something you can do with no penalty if you either supply the phone yourself, or pay full price for the new phone. If you've got the money you could probably buy a new MiFi at full cost (about $240 last time I checked).

The contract problem only occurs if you want to cancel the contract, or are looking for a new phone at the discount price of a new contract.

But you need to ask Verizon to be sure.

OP
D

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You would have to have Verizon transfer your plan to the MiFi.

When I bought my MiFi, some time ago, both he USB Modem and the MiFi had pretty much the same plan. The only real difference was the cost of the device. It that is still true Verizon should be willing to simply move your plan to the new device with no changes.

It would be just like having them transfer the plan to a new phone. Something you can do with no penalty if you either supply the phone yourself, or pay full price for the new phone. If you've got the money you could probably buy a new MiFi at full cost (about $240 last time I checked).

The contract problem only occurs if you want to cancel the contract, or are looking for a new phone at the discount price of a new contract.

But you need to ask Verizon to be sure.

Verizon has a deal on their site, 4G Lte MiFi for $100, with $50 off and free shipping with 2 year contract. Regularly $264. I think I'm gonna go for it.

I have been very satisfied with Verizon.

Again, I really appreciate the great advice!

OP
D

Dawgluver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OMG. I screwed up something, Verizon sent an email pointing it out, then I contacted Verizon directly, and got the device for less than half of what I quoted previously. Instead of $100, it's $49.99 plus all sorts of other discounts. My head is spinning.....

So glad I asked! Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts