What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I adjust the level of the built-in mic

beeboss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
so I just got my new ipad 4 and thought it would be great to use it a quick recorder for practicing/rehearsals etc. But the problem is that the built in mic is just too sensitive, even playing an acoustic piano distorts the input (unless i put ipad in the next room), and I play the drums;-)
I have downloaded a pile of audio recording apps but none seem to have any way of attenuating the input as far as I can tell.
Any ideas on how I can do this? I keep thinking there must be something basic I am overlooking. Thanks

OP
B

beeboss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over 200 views and nobody knows the answer, that is a shame. I still can't work it out, maybe it is impossible. I found a voice memo app that the ability to increase the sensitivity of the mic but unfortunately not to lower the input level. Very frustrating.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A plugged in mic (either headphone jack or 30 pin connector) may give you better sound and possibly control over the input levels. Additional devices between standard mic and the iPad can also give you level control.

The built in mic is purely for basic FaceTime and in built video for video recording, it is not designed for more intricate recording.

I strongly recommend researching external mic and other audio input solutions.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you tried something as simple as covering the microphone to mute the sound level?

ging

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an app called Unreal Book which I use to store lyrics for use on stage (it'll do a bunch of other stuff as well), but it does have a basic recording ability. Given that this app is for musicians, I'm hoping it takes into account things like input attenuation. I only just got the app so I haven't tried it yet. I see you're a drummer so that makes things a little more difficult in that, unlike myself, as a keyboard player, you don't have a single sound source - as in an output jack on your instrument. Only thing I can think of is that if you can mic your kit up and feed through a mixer into your iPad. I'm not a recording guru so don't know if that'd work for you. Anyway, hope it helps.

OP
B

beeboss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies.

I think an iRig pre may be a sensible solution for me. Maybe I will try putting a sock in it first though ;-)

Most reactions

Latest posts