What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I input a small mixing board into the earphone/mic jack on my iPad?

Dogband

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone plugged the audio out of a small mix board into the earphone/ mic input? I do not want to buy an iRig, or a dedicated iPad mic, I just want to use my existing XLR microphones without harming my iPad, while I use the iPad to record a short video, or use it for garage band.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't tried anything like this, and since no-one has risen to the bait, I'll suggest something. Get hold of a cheap iPod or old iPhone and try it. If you destroy it, you'll know not to subject your iPad to the same treatment. If it works on one of those devices, it will work on an iPad too.

Brian 244

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The problem is that the 1/8" in on the ipad headphone jack is a 4 conductor: 1-ground, 2 out left, 3 out right and 4 mic in. You have to make sure that the input cable matches that input (headphones being the exception since they would ground out the "mic in"). If you plug an audio out from your mixer into the headphone jack, you may either get no response or worst case damage the audio circuit. You really should use an iRig or a certfied cable that can provide a safe input for your ipad.

OP
D

Dogband

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Brian, finally I have some good info that seems to make sense. Thank you for your time, off to order an iRig.
The problem is that the 1/8" in on the ipad headphone jack is a 4 conductor: 1-ground, 2 out left, 3 out right and 4 mic in. You have to make sure that the input cable matches that input (headphones being the exception since they would ground out the "mic in"). If you plug an audio out from your mixer into the headphone jack, you may either get no response or worst case damage the audio circuit. You really should use an iRig or a certfied cable that can provide a safe input for your ipad.

Now, once I get this, can I use the iPad's built in camera, movie maker to do a movie with XLR sound input?

Cool, I may be close to solving my objective. Many thanks brian

Most reactions

Latest posts