What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera Roll Annoyance

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does this same issue plague owners/users of other Apple computers, such as the MacBookAir??

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. The MacBook has a computer operating system. The iPad has an operating system designed for a phone.

I think that you have a point here, for both iOS and Android, using phone OS to support a tablet has its challenges. Microft has had the opposite problem trying to cram Windows into tablet devices.

What is really probably needed needed is a true tablet OS. I think that Android 4.0 is supposed to be an attempt to do this, only time will tell.

I do wonder whether next time I should look at MacBook Air or an UltraBook, possibly running Linux. It will largely depend on what battery life of such devices is a the time. Price will also be a consideration.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I certainly agree that Apple failed big time in terms of improving photo management in iOS 5. I'm puzzled, though, as to why that was the case. After all, it's not as if Apple has "dim" engineers and designers. A couple of hypotheses...

() A quick "fix" applied to quiet the complaints without expending any significant development effort. This might well be the case. After all, as popular as the iPad is, its sales are dwarfed by those of the iPhone where extensive photo management is not nearly useful. Perhaps improvements in photo management were sacrificed on the altar of development priorities. That happens.

() A more likely explanation, I suspect, lies in the architecture and philosophy that constrains iOS development. I have no idea why but I suspect that enabling more powerful photo organization features may have bumped up against Apple's "sand box" architecture for apps and/or opened vulnerabilities for jailbreaking or hacking via the creation of folders (albums) that were not under the direct control of the app that manages the Camera Roll.

If the failure stemmed from latter issues, this is another example of the price paid for Apple's software architecture.

Thats about it. Although, the capability to delete items appears to be there in some form. I dont see how architecture would prohibit it but Im from a Windows, "anything goes" background so its mostly foreign to me. Ah well - nothing is perfect :)

OP
DarkRavenMoon

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok found an app that I'd previously purchased before switching to Dropbox to manage my files which allows all the functions we expect from the OS - namely iFiles. Also I feel I should note that once an image has been moved to the app you can delete the original from the Camera Roll ;)

Here is the in app blurb:

"iFiles allows you to store, view and manage files on your iPhone or iPod touch. You can connect to iFiles from any Mac or PC and drag and drop files straight from the Finder or Windows Explorer, as you would with any other shared folder, or you can share files with your friends over Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.

iFiles features document viewer, file manager, network file server, voice recorder, text editor, just to name a few. iFiles supports many file management operations: like delete, move, copy, email, share, zip, unzip and more. You can perform file operation on one individual file or multiple. iFiles is a first application of its kind to have Bluetooth sharing capabilities. You can connect to iFiles from any computer, all you need is WebDav client or browser and your iPhone/iPod touch to be on the same Wi-Fi network. Most operating systems have built in support for WebDav, for example Mac OS X or Windows XP and Vista."

It's what the Camera Roll should have been :) - I'm just glad I could re-download free of charge..

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm happy we now have albums; however, I get confused trying to pick out the ones I want to move to different folders from the ever growing selection of photos. I use photo for a variety of reasons and would like to have the ease of use apple usually has.

OP
DarkRavenMoon

DarkRavenMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bennettb said:
I'm happy we now have albums; however, I get confused trying to pick out the ones I want to move to different folders from the ever growing selection of photos. I use photo for a variety of reasons and would like to have the ease of use apple usually has.

That's just it though, the images are NOT moved - rather they are 'linked' to the original image in the Camera Roll which just isn't good enough in this day and age. Basic tasks such as being able to copy or move files between folders is a perquisite of any device if you ask me.

Most reactions

Latest posts