What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camera lens closed

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
R

Ronfromcocoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland
Tim, Tried both things and it worked once after Ir jiggled and then it stopped. Worked good the following day 4 times, stopped. Turned on today but would not take picture. At my wits end? Any suggestions? thanks ronfromcocoa

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We need to step up the action - a reboot.

OK - hold down the Power and Home buttons together for a long time - could be 20 seconds - until the white Apple logo appears. The iPad will then reboot - no apps or data will be lost, it's just like rebooting your PC.

The reboot takes a couple of minutes, so have patience...then see if the problem persists...

Tim

Rog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ron~,

I'm trying to wrap my head around your issue.

When you fire up the camera app on your iPad 2 the retina animation is stuck closed? Or is the screen black and the retina closes and opens making the camera sound?

OP
R

Ronfromcocoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rog said:
Ron~,

I'm trying to wrap my head around your issue.

When you fire up the camera app on your iPad 2 the retina animation is stuck closed? Or is the screen black and the retina closes and opens making the camera sound?

The retina stays closed and will not open no matter what I try and believe me I have tried Everything....

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ronfromcocoa said:
The retina stays closed and will not open no matter what I try and believe me I have tried Everything....

Mine did that recently. The problem that I had was not enough free space on my IPod Touch for more pictures and/or live video taping. Then I removed some applications then I was able to open up the lens cover.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 32 GB

Puravida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi - I have the same problem with my ipad2. Camera worked fine up until today. Face time and Skype still work but not the rear camera or when open camera app. How can I fix this?

OP
R

Ronfromcocoa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
camera lens stuck

Sorry i cannot help you . Mine was working today but I am sure tomorrow it will not open again. Skype and face time works the same as yours but lens retina is locked up. Maybe they will come out with a fix for us soon. Good luck. Ronfromcocoa

DavidEB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This happened to me today, and I tried all the suggested solutions, without solving it. Then I remembered I had downloaded a hefty book. I closed the ibooks app and the camera worked perfectly. I hadn't realised that all the apps are open, unless you close them by double clicking the Home key.

yanyannini

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently my front camera lens on my IPad3 began to display fuzzy images, and almost looks like there is a shadow streak across the image. When I look closely at the front camera lens, it looks like there is an object that is lodged inside it, which seems to explain why there is a visible shadow streak. I've had my IPad3 for almost a year, and have never had this problem. btw, the rear camera lens works just fine. I tried your methods described above, and did not see any changes. Do you have any advice on what this problem could be? I'd really appreciate it!!

Stella

Most reactions