What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cable secure an iPad to a table/desk

hat-rack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to put an iPad in our office reception for people to play with when waiting. I need some sort of security cable to tether the iPad to the desk. Ideally I'd like to keep the iPad itself free from some overwhelming case that covers the device, so the options I have:

One of the retractable wire with some sort of electronic alarm would be good, if a little annoying as the cable want's to retract all the time. Much like what they use to tether them down at the Apple store. Does anyone know where I could get one of these?

A heavy duty wire that attaches to the iPad, somehow. Possible on the USB dock and then it doubles as a charger? Like the Targus one available for ipod? Would it work with an iPad?

I've done an extensive search on google and come up with no suitable products. What do you think of the above and are there any solutions i've missed out there?

Thanks!

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
the tarsus cable would i think work. However I would think a good quick jerk would free it from the tarsus ipad lock.Its a good idea im just not sure how well it would actually work.

another option would be to get a PC lockdown kit. The PC lock down kits have a small peice that you glue onto the PC, in this case the back of the ipad. A cable then runs from that to where ever you wold like to secure it to and locked with a padlock. The glue that is use with these lockdown kits are so strong that the ipad or PC case would break before it lets go.

Another option if you have a 3G model could be to just have a sign that has a picture of the iPad and says something like. Ask at counter to use our waiting room iPad. You the have the person at the counter take their name and give them the ipad. As backup get a mobile me account and set it up on the ipad so that if somehow someone takes it you first have there info from when it was handed out but then you can track it via GPS where ever it goes.

Last edited:

HilltopMichael

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It wouldn't be all that difficult to have someone fabricate a holder out of a piece of sheet metal. Fold up three sides to cradle the iPad and then screw on a fourth piece to hold it in place. Attach a cable to the holder and it shouldn't walk off...

You could also get a bit fancier and make the holder so it holds the ipad and charger in place as well.

GaryD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cable security for ipad

You can use a STAYPad from Doss Industries to secure an iPad with a cable to a desk.

RTC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Secure an iPad to a desk

Retail Theft Control offers different options of securing an iPad to a desk to prevent theft etc. There are mechanical and electronic options so if you want an alarm to sound or if you just wanted to secure the tablet to a desk. Check the website it has the options on there

TechLockDown

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look please at our website, techlockdown.com . You won't find me spamming this forum but this seems right on target. Thanks.

dbjork34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the tarsus cable would i think work. However I would think a good quick jerk would free it from the tarsus ipad lock.Its a good idea im just not sure how well it would actually work.

another option would be to get a PC lockdown kit. The PC lock down kits have a small peice that you glue onto the PC, in this case the back of the ipad. A cable then runs from that to where ever you wold like to secure it to and locked with a padlock. The glue that is use with these lockdown kits are so strong that the ipad or PC case would break before it lets go.

Another option if you have a 3G model could be to just have a sign that has a picture of the iPad and says something like. Ask at counter to use our waiting room iPad. You the have the person at the counter take their name and give them the ipad. As backup get a mobile me account and set it up on the ipad so that if somehow someone takes it you first have there info from when it was handed out but then you can track it via GPS where ever it goes.

this ^

I know it would be easy to tear it off. But I don't think anyone would do it in an office setting. Think this will be the best deterrant without having to sacrifice the look and feel or having to fabricate custom made holders.

imho

gavganim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
guys just check out this new iPad anti theft device by maclocks (MacLocks.com). they came out with an absolutely cool iPad cable lock : maclocks.com/i-pad-lock.html
you can use their Security cable or any universal security slot cable.

I like !

Most reactions

Latest posts