What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buying 3G iPad from AT&T or Verizon - can you buy without 3G service?

SDM44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just wondering, as I didn't really see any other topics on this and the 2 stores I called didn't have an answer for me. But I wouldn't mind paying the extra $30 to get the 3G model in case I ever decide to add the 3G service and pay for it. But will AT&T or Verizon sell you the 3G model without buying their service right then & there? Are they going to lock you into some type of deal where you do need to get the service eventually or something?

Going back to my other thread about launch locations, and the nearest Apple store being a good 40 min drive for me (and probably really busy this Friday night), I'd rather go into one of the numerous AT&T or Verizon stores nearby me and check out the iPad2 there and possibly just buy it without the really long lines. But I definitely don't want the 3G service right now.... I may want it later, or may never want it.

pennicat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I wouldn't mind paying the extra $30 to get the 3G model in case I ever decide to add the 3G service and pay for it.

I think you left off a "1" - it's $130 more for the 3G model, isn't it?

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
It depends on where you are, and where you like to travel to. IMO, go with Verizon, as your almost guaranteed to have coverage wherever you are. I work for best buy, and I mainly work in the mobile department, we sell all 4 carriers...but I usually joke that I have 3.5 carriers cause AT&T doesnt count :)

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what I've read, you have to decide which carrier you will use at the time of purchase. There is no generic iPad2 that will allow you to select either AT&T or Verizon after purchase. It's one or the other at the time you buy. In my location AT&T offers better coverage than Verizon, so that will be my choice.

Most reactions

Latest posts