What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy only Apple Charger?

nicki8801

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried to do a search here but I am such a luzer with this forum and I could not find a charger thread. I need a new charger for my Ipad 2 and I looked at Amazon and the reviews mostly said they did not charge the iPad as
Fast as the original charger. Do I need to buy one from the Apple Store...I was hoping to find a less expensive
One and I hate to waste money on one that does not work. Thanks

mtealo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a dual charger by extrememac and also Cygnett. They work great as I have iPad , iPhone & iPod

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Nick - as already discussed, the iPad requires a 10 W (not Volt) adapter for most effective charging (vs. 5 W for the iPhone & iPod) - now although you could buy a 'dual' output adapter, the iPhone & iPod can be charged w/o a problem w/ the iPad adapter (that's all I take on the road when I travel w/ my iPad & iPod) - not sure about the price differences between single vs. dual outputs but check the Amazon reviews carefully, and again make sure that your new adapter outputs 10 Watts - :)

fausley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From my personal experience, using an iPhone charger on an iPad is ok, but it charges extremely slooooooooooooooooooooow.

huayangnianhua

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"I need a new charger for my Ipad 2 and I looked at Amazon and the reviews mostly said they did not charge the iPad as
Fast as the original charger" it wouldn't be true,i think, even if that's true, you also can buy the charger at amazon, i think, as long as the charger worth the price.

undertechnology

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was really disturbed by my iPad as I forgot my Mac every time when I went out for business or holiday, for I had to worry about the playtime of it. While one day, a little exquisite object attracted my attention -- it's so smart and charming and dimmened everything else in my eyes. So cool is the brand it belongs to, just move your tongue and lip it out -- RavPower. Suddenly an inspiration befell on my heart, I became so sure that this little will remove my annoyance on the way out. Then I buttonned to buy it, without any hesitation. Finally, I found that the little is much better beyond my imagination. It can not only switch the electrical current of my laptop and pc from 500mA to 1.3A and afford the power supply of my iPad, but what's more excited is that there is a magic button on it which can transport the data from the computer to iPad while it is charging. Oh, what should I say about it? Oh, Little one, Magic little!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"I need a new charger for my Ipad 2 and I looked at Amazon and the reviews mostly said they did not charge the iPad as
Fast as the original charger" it wouldn't be true,i think, even if that's true, you also can buy the charger at amazon, i think, as long as the charger worth the price.

I remember the first charger I bought for my iPad 2...I got it off of Amazon...Got it...it worked, but it took forever. I then put in on a Kill-o-Watt meter to discover that it was only putting out 5W...there were a lot of chargers on Amazon that did they same thing...back then. Careful reading of the description is required. It the item doesnt say 2.1A @ 5V for 10Ws then you know it might work, but it will be slow as all get out. The one I got was a cheap knock off of the Apple charger...

The one I linked above works great, however. The situation has improved over the last year...I now have several chargers that work fine on the iPad.

gabey8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I remember the first charger I bought for my iPad 2...I got it off of Amazon...Got it...it worked, but it took forever. I then put in on a Kill-o-Watt meter to discover that it was only putting out 5W...there were a lot of chargers on Amazon that did they same thing...back then. Careful reading of the description is required. It the item doesnt say 2.1A @ 5V for 10Ws then you know it might work, but it will be slow as all get out. The one I got was a cheap knock off of the Apple charger...

The one I linked above works great, however. The situation has improved over the last year...I now have several chargers that work fine on the iPad.

If there's any charger you want to test, make sure that you're using a CABLE that's known to work properly. For some reason, my iPad (new generation) only likes the OEM cable. Come to think of it, this is a replacement iPad, not the one I originally got, and the OTHER one only liked the original cable, too.

Which is a pain in the neck, because I really want to use a longer cable than what came with the device. Very frustrating.

But anyway, to get back on topic -- use a cable that you're certain works with your iPad, if you're trying a new or different charger. Then if a problem crops up, you'll be able to know that the issue resides with the charger, rather than with the cable or the iPad itself.

Most reactions

Latest posts