What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buy Now or Wait?

LTCSZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I'm still having "buyers hesitation"...I have gotten as far as the "submit order" button on the Apple Store site and backed out...I keep seeing rumors of a new Ver 2 Ipad coming in April or May...Any idea if this is true? Any idea what the price point might be? Will the current models just be discontinued or sold out at a steal? Advice is welcomed...Thanks for your patience...

Steve

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad2 should be out around April. Will have some better specs most likely. Most likely same price as iPad1. iPad1 will most likely sell 100 bucks cheaper. Its a hard decision. All about your needs.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to think about what you'll be using it for, what the rumored upgrades will be, and whether you really need or want those upgrades. I ordered a 32gb on Friday from the Apple store for 500. My laptop had died and I didn't feel like waiting for IP2, especially when the new specs are just rumors right now.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4g

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got the 16 gb wifi back in late November with the iPad 2 rumors out already. Would be one thing if it were one day before launch, but since not, one could spend the rest of one's life waiting for the next generation of everything instead of enjoying now. I went all that time and it was like, you know, I wanted it all along and hubby got it as my early Xmas gift, after having gotten me a tablet earlier in the year when I insisted I didn't want the iPad. A hoot as it is my favorote device along with iPhone. He then could see and said here you go!!

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Blackbelt said:
Buy it now. A refurb 32G is only $500 from apple. Who cares about front facing camera.

Good point! Seems like a deal and a half, and I've always heard that refurbs from Apple do well. I've had a few refurb devices and they've always done fine.

iPadster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought my two sons refurbed iPhone 3 gs's and they looked like they were brand new. It really comes down to if you need a camera or not.

If you waited this long what's another 3 months. This way you can try the iPad 2 or probably save a 100 dollars on the iPad 1. I have had mine since June, but if I find out the features of iPad 2 are that much better, I will upgrade.

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm waiting, although I'm in the same boat as you. I've left the Apple store empty handed so many times it's not funny. I'm holding out in the hopes that there might actually be a front facing camera, as it would come in very handy for me. I Skype a lot with my editor and other authors that I collaborate with and if I could do that on the iPad and not have to go to my computer, that would be a godsend, especially when I'm on the road.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Most forecasts for the next version are pointing incremental improvements rather than radical changes.

The three main changes appear to be the added two cameras for FaceTime chat.
A dual core chip with double the ram and improved graphics chip.
The screen will be thinner but remain the same size and be more visible in bright sunlight.
Expectations are that it will also be a bit lighter while retaining the same battery life.

Your decision will depend on how important these changes would be to your usage.
Both pads in our house get a lot of daily usage and I doubt the new version will make any difference to that.

Why I will buy a new one is that expect the improved dual core chip, video and ram will extend the potential of the available apps to the extent that the iPad becomes a viable laptop replacement.
There are already some awesome apps out there, many of which are pushing against the limitations of the hardware.

boneman1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless there's something you want or need that's available in the future release there's no reason to wait. It doesn't matter when you buy because the next day you'll hear about something new that's going make yours obsolete. That's just the way it works.

OP
LTCSZ

LTCSZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the opinions...I could really care less about a camera...who'd want to video chat with me anyway? Think i will go back to the Apple Refurb Store and purchase the 32gb I-Pad...I had considered several of the other brands (Archos, etc) but they all seem to be inferior to the I-Pad...Thanks again for the help...

Steve

MobilityGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.MobilityGo.com
Our felling is that the current iPad will have a very decent resell value. So buying and enjoying one now and possibly upgrading later if you really want to should not prove to be a mistake.

There will be a good market and a lot of demand for second hand iPads.

Most reactions

Latest posts