What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bt openzone issue

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is one for the UK members really :)

I have an iPad wifi plus 3G. When I go somewhere with a Bt open zone free wireless network (e.g. Starbucks) my iPad shows the little icon to say it is connected to the wireless but nothing actually works on the internet. If I try to check emails or go on the Internet I just get a connection error or it times out without doing anything.

I end up going into the settings and turning the wireless off so I can use 3G. I am sure that there must be a way of using Bt open zone for my iPad - does anyone have any ideas?

joeinblu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try opening up a browser, like Safari, because usually places with free wifi need you to accept the terms of using their free wifi. Hope that helps.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quicksilver71 said:
This is one for the UK members really :)

I have an iPad wifi plus 3G. When I go somewhere with a Bt open zone free wireless network (e.g. Starbucks) my iPad shows the little icon to say it is connected to the wireless but nothing actually works on the internet. If I try to check emails or go on the Internet I just get a connection error or it times out without doing anything.

I end up going into the settings and turning the wireless off so I can use 3G. I am sure that there must be a way of using Bt open zone for my iPad - does anyone have any ideas?

Do you have a BT account? If you do then there is an app which you put your details into and it should automatically connect. If you don't have a BT account then I'm not entirely sure but would try the suggestion in the previous post......maybe worth giving us a few more details.

The Archangel

Citruspips

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use BT Openzone. To get it to work I downloaded the BT Fon ap. You then need to register with your regular BT Broadband username and password it will then connect you if your in an Openzone or Fon area. If your not a BTBroadband customer you will need to register with Openzone and buy some access.
Hope that helps

OP
Q

Quicksilver71

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh no, I did realise you have to pay :( I am not a BT customer so it probably isn't worth paying for the odd occasion I happen to be in Starbucks.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ingoiolo said:
Free wifi is something I never found anywhere in the uk (London) :(

I've had free wifi in London, booked a £400/night hotel room and the wifi came free.......or did I subscribe to £400/day wifi and I got a free hotel room, hmmmm!

The Archangel

Ingoiolo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I've had free wifi in London, booked a £400/night hotel room and the wifi came free.......or did I subscribe to £400/day wifi and I got a free hotel room, hmmmm!

The Archangel

I'd say you paid a 380/night room which came with an hidden wifi surcharge :)

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're with orange you get free BT Openzone. You usually have to faff around with connect/disconnnect and sometimes then open safari to get the separate log in page to display.

BT Openzone is possibly the worst designed wifi hotspot system ever though. ;)

If you only use Starbucks, if you put some cash on a starbucks card and use that to pay for your coffee, you get free wifi in there as well.

Paul W. H

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're with orange you get free BT Openzone. You usually have to faff around with connect/disconnnect and sometimes then open safari to get the separate log in page to display.

Is this Orange Mobile Internet or Orange Landline Internet or a Orange Mobile Phone ?

Paul W. H

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know many of the monthly subscriptions do include various providers wifi - but it even varies between the monthly tariff you're on. Just to confuse things even more.

Most reactions

Latest posts