What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broken ipad 2 glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie1985

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I just got my new apple ipad 2, i only have it 1 week and i dropped it down the stairs......
My touchscreen is still working but the glass is broken for about 30%....
Does anybody know how to fix this? I'm not english, i hope this can go through my normal insurance?
I dont have a seperate insurance for my apple, but i only got my apple for two weeks orso....
Help is appreciated...

AppleNut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been hearing Apple is doing a one time courtesy replacement. Doesn't hurt to try! Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes - as the previous poster commented - we have had several reports from members that Apple has been unofficially offering a one-time only courtesy replacement for broken glass, where it can be ascertained that the breakage was due to unfortunate circumstances. It's not official, but it can't help to try.

Tim

Trainwire

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is true that Apple will replace a unit even for accidental damage. Two days ago I dropped my new ipad 2, and was devastated. Yesterday I was in New York City so I went to the Apple store on 5th Ave. They gave me a New replacement at absolutely no charge! I am so grateful. But also scared to death it could happen again. I wanted to buy a case like the otter case I have for my iPhone 4 but Apple doesn't sell any type of case. Can anyone give me a link to check out ipad 2 cases and also what about any insurance companies for high end electronics?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is true that Apple will replace a unit even for accidental damage. Two days ago I dropped my new ipad 2, and was devastated. Yesterday I was in New York City so I went to the Apple store on 5th Ave. They gave me a New replacement at absolutely no charge! I am so grateful. But also scared to death it could happen again. I wanted to buy a case like the otter case I have for my iPhone 4 but Apple doesn't sell any type of case. Can anyone give me a link to check out ipad 2 cases and also what about any insurance companies for high end electronics?

Have a look here

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-accessories/24080-ipad-2-cases.html

Tim

handrefreitas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello, would sell only the glass in New York? I need to bring a friend whose son dropped on the floor and broke the glass. We live in Brazil.

ricka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. The unwritten "one time only accident replacement" policy existed for me today!

I live in Tampa. My son dropped our 4 week old iPad 2 and broke the glass. I took it to the Apple Store in Brandon this morning. I was very quickly advised it would normally be a $269 repair but I was given a "one time courtesy" replacement for free.

I told him I had a problem, my son dropped it and asked "What do you think it the best way to handle it?" - spoke for 30 seconds.... then, I just sat there surfing the 'net on a nice new MacBook while he made it all better.

I walked in @ 10:45AM and was walking out with a brand new replacement by 11:05. No charge although there certainly could have been. The most wonderful service I've had - maybe ever - simply AWESOME company and customer service.

BTW: It didn't seem to matter where the iPad came from as the genius told me it would be replaced without checking serial number or anything that would have indicated the store the sold it to me. Also, mine was still working but once again - that didn't even get checked until after we discussed the one time replacement.

skjlrand

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fabulous customer service

I've had my ipad2 for 3 weeks. It fell out of my car onto pavement and cracked the glass in the lower right corner. Just as previous post, I took it to apple store and within 15 minutes was walking out with a new iPad...no charge. I think I will have to pay $350 if it happens again, but this is awesome service. Thanks Apple for confirming why I give you my business.

cbb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my iPad2. The glass broke. I walked into the Apple Store in Broomfield, CO. I got an appointment with the Genius Bar in 30 minutes. They replaced my unit at no charge. I was out of the store in less that one hour. Fantastic response.

Lizzysipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My friend dropped her iPod on my iPad and the glass cracked- ive had it for about a month and a half, will they still replace it for free?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The non-warranty screen replacement policy of Apple for the iPad is an entirely unacknowledged, one-time-only, unofficial, courtesy policy that they'll deny if asked. Many of the Apple Store staff don't know about it. But almost all Members have found that, if you go in and very politely, very humbly, explain the situation you'll find you will be offered a new iPad in exchange. Sometimes you have to ask to see a Manager - nicely! Sometimes, very occasionally, you might need to find another Apple Store. But we've yet to hear of a case of a continued refusal. But, remember, it's not a right. Apple have no obligation here if it's a non-warranty claim. They do it because they realise a happy customer is a returning customer who will spread the word about Apple and that, in the end, they'll get 'their' reward.

Tim

juntar

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Good to hear that Apple is doing this customer-friendly gesture. It would be appreciated by the consuming public if other manufacturers will follow Apple's footsteps.:)

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I surely hope and pray that I don't have an accident with my iPad or iPhone, it does come to mind that all this friendly gesturing on the part of Apple is only increasing the cost of these units for all the rest of the Apple purchasing customers. Perhaps that's an unfriendly view of the whole thing, but personally, I think each person should be responsible for his or her accidents and mistakes, and not others who have to pay more for Apple products because of these misfortunes.

On the other hand, I guess I've had it a little easier than many and can afford to fix my own foibles.

Brian - Sent from my iPad using iPF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions