What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broadband usage has rocketed since getting my iPad?

tonyt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I am using an iPad Air 2 and an iMac with Mavericks syncing via dropbox. My metered broadband quota is rapidly disappearing and usually I don’t use 3/4 of it. I have turned off background app refresh and mail is set to manual gathering - no push or fetch. I have turned off everything I can think of and still bandwidth is used overnight! I don't do ANY streaming and I use iCloud for docs and data (no photos or music) and TapForms.

Any suggestions most welcome

Cheers

tonyt

OP
T

tonyt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Should have said maybe - I'm using WIFI only, no cellular!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

I am using an iPad Air 2 and an iMac with Mavericks syncing via dropbox. My metered broadband quota is rapidly disappearing and usually I don’t use 3/4 of it. I have turned off background app refresh and mail is set to manual gathering - no push or fetch. I have turned off everything I can think of and still bandwidth is used overnight! I don't do ANY streaming and I use iCloud for docs and data (no photos or music) and TapForms.

Any suggestions most welcome

Cheers

tonyt
Even if you haven't found it yet, something on your iPad is consuming large amounts of data in the background. Do you use Facebook? It's one of the worst battery hogs and data consumers on an iPad. If you have the Facebook app, make sure that you force close it whenever you're not using it and see if that makes a difference.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same problem. All of a sudden my data allowance starts dropping and I have to turn wifi off.

Once it was an update to iTunes.

I followed the instructions in this link:
http://ios8tips.com/how-to-prevent-automatic-update-to-ios-8/

It basically blocks the Apple domains from downloading. You can still do App updates.

So far it seems to work. I will post again if the problem comes back.

My ISP gives unlimited downloads 2am-7am. So when I am ready to stay up, I can undo the changes in my router.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It did not work. It started draining at around 10am today.

I just make sure that I fully charge it either with wifi off or the iPad completely turned off and when I turn it back on, I leave it unplugged. No problems doing it that way.

Maybe they changed the web addresses. Darn THEM!

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Go into "General", ""Background App Refresh" There may be several you don't need turned on.

Most reactions