What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I gobbled up my 250MB plan too fast! Tips to minimize usage?

PoetDoc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have noticed on my iPhone that if I leave 3G and data 'on' my phone grabs A LOT of data overnight, like at midnight or 2 am (when I am not using the phone). I suggest you go into your AT&T or Verizon bill online and look at the times when all the data was downloaded. I solved the problem by turning off 3G and data most of the time, except when I really need them. Now my data usage is more reasonable and I never go over. Also I am pretty good about closing apps at the end of the day. I think there is a class action suit against AT&T for over charging people for data. Check it out. http://thedroidguy.com/2011/05/class-action-lawsuit-att-sued-for-overcharging-iphone-customers/

Irish Rose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would not have believed it if I had not tried it, but I can turn on airplane mode (killing all radios) and then turn wifi on, and get a wifi connection. I think that qualifies as a bug, given the purpose of airplane mode, but it is possible. Very odd. :confused:
It's not a bug at all, please read what I posted above in quotes as you will see that Apple has listed this as a feature in their online iPad 2 user guide. Keep in mind that more Airlines are beginning to offer Free WiFi Inflight now.

Here are just a few examples:
In-flight Wi-Fi Access
* Singapore Airlines to offer in-flight mobile calling, texting & Wi-Fi*by*AirportWiFiGuide.com
Continental Airlines To Offer Inflight Wi-Fi

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Odd. Your iPhone must work differently than all my iOS devices (and as Apple intended). This is Apple's description of how airplane mode works iPad Wi-Fi + 3G: Understanding airplane mode, and mine works as described. When airplane mode is on, there is no connection, wi-fi or otherwise.

Apparently Apple has changed this. I copied the following page from an iPad 2 guide that I downloaded from the app store. It explains exactly what I was saying above, and that WiFi is now available in airplane mode. :)

Airplane Mode

If you travel frequently, Airplane Mode is a necessity: it temporarily switches off the cellular antenna and Wi-Fi, which could interfere with the airplane’s navigational system. This allows you to safely use the iPad in the air once the captain gives the all-clear. Thankfully, the iPad still allows Wi-Fi connections in this mode, but you have to manually switch Wi-Fi back on in the Wi-Fi settings. So if you happen to be taking a flight on one of the airlines that currently supplies Wi-Fi access, you’ll be able to surf the Web.

Good to know. Thanks.

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here are a few good tips that I found for you on Cnet, on how to conserve data usage on your iPad. How to conserve data usage on your iPad | How To - CNET

EDIT: I just realized the video in my link requires flash, but you can view it on a computer, or a third party browser like, Skyfire.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iPF

I'm very confused at the moment. I emailed the above Cnet link to myself to later view it on my pc. I was checking email on my ipad2 and decided to instead view the video with Skyfire. My intent was to open the link in Safari, copy the URL, and paste it into Skyfire. When it opened in Safari, there was a picture for the video and a play button. I clicked play and the video played perfectly. When it finished, a message popped up saying This movie could not be played. And I couldn't replay it. I can close Safari, click the link in the email, and the same thing occurs. Safari opens and I can watch the video once. At the end, I get the could not play message.

I don't get it.

Most reactions