What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought iPad 3 used and having weird issue.

learniiburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've been lurking here for quite some time, and I finally got my hands on an iPad 3 that I bought used and in great condition.

The previous owner installed iOS 7 beta 2 on the unit and I think before handing it off to me he did a factory reset on it (not sure if with DFU mode and an ISPW or in the iPad settings itself). The iPad has 6.1.3 on it now, but during the first steps of activation it prompts me to sign in with his Apple ID to continue. There is absolutely no way around this. In iTunes the same prompt is there, and on the iPad itself.

Screen Shot 2013-07-09 at 1.02.51 PM.png

Nothing seems to make this disappear. Re-flashing iOS 6, and iOS 7 doesn't disconnect this iPad from this locked state. I contacted the seller and asked him to unlink/de-authorize the iPad from his Apple ID in iTunes and he did and still nothing. I understand why he would not want to send me his password to get past this point, but it is also really frustrating at this point to have to meet this guy and find wifi to get past this issue.

Does anyone know what is causing this? I guess my main question is what is making this happen. Is it because of Find my Phone or something? It's a new screen to me and searching all over the internet hasn't really come up with any real talk about it. I'm guessing it has something to do with iOS 7.

Any input on this would be very appreciated.

Thanks and cheers!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What you're experiencing is a feature of iOS 7 that's designed to stop a lost or stolen iPad from being activated without inputting the original owner's Apple ID and password. You're going to have to get the seller to sign in with his Apple ID and password before the iPad can be restored to factory condition. You'll also have to have him delete the find my iPhone app from the iPad. Your problems are likely the result of the beta version of the find my iPhone app, which has new security features that are responsible for your activation problems. Without this help from your seller, your iPad can't be activated.

Are you close enough to the seller that you can meet somewhere? That way he can perform the necessary actions without giving you his ID and password.

OP
L

learniiburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your response was so fast and epic scifan57! Thanks so much for taking the time to inform of this. I had a hunch it was an iOS 7 feature that is brand new in the beta. The seller definitely was running the beta. I will be able to meet up with him tomorrow to bypass this. Thanks again for the quick response. Definitely looking forward to sharing info in these forums!

Cheers!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Once he's wiped the iPad. Activate it right there, while he's still around, just in case there are any problems. You would need to meet in a place with WiFi access to do this.

P.S. let us know how it works out.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, Welcome to the iPad forums, the largest and best iPad forum anywhere, with over 295,000 members worldwide. Many of our membership volunteer their time to help their fellow members with answers to their questions and solutions to their problems. If a search of the forums doesn't provide the answer you need, don't hesitate to post your question in the appropriate forum. We also have this tutorial to help you get full use from the iPad forums app. http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html We ask that all members take the time to review the Forum rules before posting.

OP
L

learniiburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will most certainly keep this thread updated with the results of what happens. Thanks for the tips and the warm welcome! The app looks amazing and the tutorial is very through and clean, can't wait to use it!

Cheers and thanks again!

OP
L

learniiburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just to update this, the original owner met with me and got through the prompt by entering his info. After I was able to sign in with my Apple ID and activate the unit! :)

I even did another full restore through iTunes to ensure that if I set it up fresh again it wouldn't still prompt for his credentials.

I am now the proud owner of a white iPad 3 16GB Wifi model running nice and stable 6.1.3! Yay!

Just a side note: I did call Apple support to inquire about this new security feature, and of course it is in beta still so support is not really expected to assist me with it. But the gentleman I talked to informed me all about it and really cleared up the confusion. It is exactly as scifan57 said in his first response. If you want to sell, trade or gift any iEquipment running iOS 7, you must sign out of your account and deactivate Find my Phone and any features for security before it can be activated by someone else on a restore.

Pretty good info for anyone who has run the beta on their device and switched back to iOS 6 to sell it.

Hope you all have a great week!

Cheers!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know about the successful resolution to your problem. I'm sure it will be helpful to anyone else in your situation.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As soon as I read about this feature I knew we would be seeing problems when sellers didn't properly prep their iOS 7 devices for sale. I just didn't expect to see them so soon, nor the solution.

Kudos, scifan.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just to update this, the original owner met with me and got through the prompt by entering his info. After I was able to sign in with my Apple ID and activate the unit! :)

I even did another full restore through iTunes to ensure that if I set it up fresh again it wouldn't still prompt for his credentials.

I am now the proud owner of a white iPad 3 16GB Wifi model running nice and stable 6.1.3! Yay!

Just a side note: I did call Apple support to inquire about this new security feature, and of course it is in beta still so support is not really expected to assist me with it. But the gentleman I talked to informed me all about it and really cleared up the confusion. It is exactly as scifan57 said in his first response. If you want to sell, trade or gift any iEquipment running iOS 7, you must sign out of your account and deactivate Find my Phone and any features for security before it can be activated by someone else on a restore.

Pretty good info for anyone who has run the beta on their device and switched back to iOS 6 to sell it.

Hope you all have a great week!

Cheers!

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

This is great info for any others buying an iPad second hand.....thank you for letting us know the outcome!

Sci - yes....kudos to you also!

Most reactions

Latest posts