What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Both NUMBERS and PAGES crash my IPAD

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been exercising both NUMBERS and PAGES to familiarize myself with all their features and have run into a problem. When I try to delete a document or spreadsheet which I have created, my iPad locks up. Have to re-boot to recover.

I do this by tapping "edit" on the document manager page and selecting the document. At that point, the iPad freezes.

I have deleted the apps and re-downloaded, but get the same results.

My iPad is the latest version before the iPad Air, but my wife's iPad Air does the same thing.

Is there a fix for this? How can I delete a document/spreadsheet?

Larry Cruzen

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have been exercising both NUMBERS and PAGES to familiarize myself with all their features and have run into a problem. When I try to delete a document or spreadsheet which I have created, my iPad locks up. Have to re-boot to recover.

I do this by tapping "edit" on the document manager page and selecting the document. At that point, the iPad freezes.

Hi Larry - I have an iPad 2 w/ the latest iOS and also the iWork Suite 2.2 version - just opened Numbers & Pages, pressed the 'Edit', all my items jiggled, selected one and was able to delete, so not sure why your iWork apps are crashing - sorry? But being curious did a little searching - see if this Link helps? If so, please post back - might help others. Dave :)

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I checked the link....suggestion was to make sure "Button Shapes" was off....it is. Looking for any more suggestions.

Thanks,

Larry Cruzen

Just tried again to delete a spreadsheet.....worked as advertised. No idea what changed!

Larry Cruzen

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If iCloud Document syncing is turned on for an iWorks app it always checks online for updates before the app will work. This looks a lot like freezing. Well, it is freezing, and very annoying. If it can't connect to iCloud it can take some time to unfreeze, as it tries over and over again.

I've found attempting to manage your documents during the first several seconds to be unstable. Usually it just won't let you, but occasionally weird things will happen.

This may have nothing to do with your problem, but that's all I can think of.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If iCloud Document syncing is turned on for an iWorks app it always checks online for updates before the app will work. This looks a lot like freezing. Well, it is freezing, and very annoying. If it can't connect to iCloud it can take some time to unfreeze, as it tries over and over again. I've found attempting to manage your documents during the first several seconds to be unstable. Usually it just won't let you, but occasionally weird things will happen. This may have nothing to do with your problem, but that's all I can think of.

Not a bad theory there. I haven't had any crashing but I have seen very so brief pauses when firing up the apps. Maybe the cloud thingie?

OP
larrycruzen

larrycruzen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I checked both NUMBERS and PAGES in settings, and "USE ICLOUD" is turned off. Tried waiting about 30 secs after going to document manager, then tapped "EDIT", then selected a blank document that I had created. IPAD froze up, had to re-boot. This characteristic is inconsistent, because once in a great while it works.

I have no other apps running when I use these two apps, so it shouldn't be a conflict.

I am running version 2.1 of both apps, which I think is the latest. Correction....I'm using version 2.2 of both apps.

I just tried deleting documents again on my wife's new IPAD AIR and it worked fine 4 times in a row. Previously, it also froze up.

I got to think some setting is wrong. Like to understand and fix this problem.

This doesn't stop me from using these apps, but I will end up with a bunch of dumb documents stored because I keep making new ones to try all the features.

Larry Cruzen

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At this point I recommend you make sure you have copies of all you important documents off the iPad (DropBox would be a good choice), then delete and re-download all the iWorks apps.

That's all I can think off.

The apps do crash now and then, but it sounds like it's happening way too often for you.

Most reactions

Latest posts