What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How many of you read an actual paper book?

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't really get the romance of the paper book thing. They're dirty & dry out your hands. Also I'm on lists that talk about books so the subjects I read about have broadened tremendously. I'm reading more often too. Not so sure if I'll continue reading on the Kindle device as I mostly read those books on the iPad now because I like the Kindle reader best (dictionary!!!). The point for me is to read. Not so much what electronic device. It's like the iPad: I'm curious to find out stuff & now I can do it any time, anywhere. Love that to bits.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Some people get it and some never will. A book is far more than just words on paper; many things about printed books many will not understand. And that is fine.

Not sure what you mean by dirty and dry out your hands. Some books do I suppose. I have a dirty first edition or two.

Are you suggesting that for thousands of years people were yearning for books, waiting for them to be invented? Some ancient Roman going "I really love having The Aeneid on these scrolls, but I really wish I had a book." And aside from bragging rights, how is a first edition more special than a later print version, especially if the later editions correct errors? And then there are those people who pay lots of money for the original manuscript and notes of a great book, and value these more than any print edition.

It's not that people don't understand. It is that more important than the romantic myths surrounding books, people value the various ways in which art and knowledge is made widely accessible. Ebooks are firmly a part of this larger tradition.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't really get the romance of the paper book thing. They're dirty & dry out your hands. Also I'm on lists that talk about books so the subjects I read about have broadened tremendously. I'm reading more often too. Not so sure if I'll continue reading on the Kindle device as I mostly read those books on the iPad now because I like the Kindle reader best (dictionary!!!). The point for me is to read. Not so much what electronic device. It's like the iPad: I'm curious to find out stuff & now I can do it any time, anywhere. Love that to bits.

Some people get it and some never will. A book is far more than just words on paper; many things about printed books many will not understand. And that is fine.

Not sure what you mean by dirty and dry out your hands. Some books do I suppose. I have a dirty first edition or two.

You apparently care about books as collectibles; some people focus on the content. Either of those are just preferences. It's not a matter of "getting" it.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Are you suggesting that for thousands of years people were yearning for books, waiting for them to be invented? Some ancient Roman going "I really love having The Aeneid on these scrolls, but I really wish I had a book." And aside from bragging rights, how is a first edition more special than a later print version, especially if the later editions correct errors? And then there are those people who pay lots of money for the original manuscript and notes of a great book, and value these more than any print edition.

It's not that people don't understand. It is that more important than the romantic myths surrounding books, people value the various ways in which art and knowledge is made widely accessible. Ebooks are firmly a part of this larger tradition.

Nothing wrong with e-books. I am glad people are reading.

There was a time when nobody except the richest could afford books. Very costly to produce. Gutenberg's great invention was to bring a high level of technology to what was largely a hand process. Movable type changed things forever. The growth in publishing over the centuries tells me people wanted books and have always wanted them.

As for first editions, they are different. Perhaps a little Google Time will provide the required education. Collecting books is a complex hobby and you better know what you are doing.

Obviously, First editions are rare compared to subsequent printings, and that increases their value. And pay close attention to the differences between a First Edition and a First Printing of a First Edition.

Not everyone appreciates the differences between these editions. I do, but I also buy books that are in their third printing or much later, so I am not married exclusively to first editions. I buy them when I see them at a good price and hopefully with a dust jacket.

I might suggest to those that prowl book sales, garage sales, and other places to consider what a modern author's books can be worth. Consider that some Stephen King first editions can sell for more than thirty grand.

Then there are the gems that must be first editions for many reasons that would only interest a collector and certainly does not take anything away from the reader experience. I really want a first edition "Old Man and the Sea" and I would dearly love a first edition "A Christmas Carol" in a Cosway style binding, but at almost 40 grand, that is a bit much.

And I am just as happy reading Dickens and Hemingway regardless of when the book was printed.

But like I said, if you are not a collector, you will not appreciate it, and that is fine. The whole of collecting is filled with generalists as well as the nuts with very specific requirements for the whatevers they collect.

I also collect stamps and for me, they must be MNH. Some argue that it does not matter, and many disagree and say it does. All collectors of things have preferences that non-collectors do not understand, and often leaves the non-collector confused. I mean why pay $150.00 for a rare 1896 Gulliver's Travels when a modern printing can be had for a few dollars almost anywhere?

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You apparently care about books as collectibles; some people focus on the content. Either of those are just preferences. It's not a matter of "getting" it.

I care about both. I love to read, but I also love the collecting end as well. As I said earlier, I am glad people are reading, regardless of the format.

I do, however, tend to disagree when you say, "It's not a matter of "getting" it. Some of the comments I have read indicates that many avid readers that do not collect first editions do not get it.

So let me change 'do not get it' to 'do not appreciate' that end of the hobby.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I care about both. I love to read, but I also love the collecting end as well. As I said earlier, I am glad people are reading, regardless of the format.

I do, however, tend to disagree when you say, "It's not a matter of "getting" it. Some of the comments I have read indicates that many avid readers that do not collect first editions do not get it.

So let me change 'do not get it' to 'do not appreciate' that end of the hobby.

Lol. You apparently think "getting it" requires others to agree with you about the value of collecting.

HW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
last boo

I think the last paperback I read was a Diablo novel. Now I read them on the ol' iPad or Kindle. Sad in a way but it's amazing having 100 novels in my backpack, minus, the weight.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have no preference for any format. Whatever I find that I want to read I get. iPad, Sony Reader or paper makes no difference as long as the experience gets the movie rolling in my head I'm happy.

If a book is heavy though that may ruin it. Smell of books? Let's talk about when you fall asleep reading and the cursed thing raps on your nose when falling. :) Actually that's happened to me with every format...

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lol. You apparently think "getting it" requires others to agree with you about the value of collecting.

Not at all. Not every reader is a collector. The OP asked how many read paper books. I thought a collector's POV might help. Apparently, all you want to do is argue. Trust me, this is not worth arguing over.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Nothing wrong with e-books. I am glad people are reading.

There was a time when nobody except the richest could afford books. Very costly to produce. Gutenberg's great invention was to bring a high level of technology to what was largely a hand process. Movable type changed things forever. The growth in publishing over the centuries tells me people wanted books and have always wanted them.

As for first editions, they are different. Perhaps a little Google Time will provide the required education. Collecting books is a complex hobby and you better know what you are doing.

Obviously, First editions are rare compared to subsequent printings, and that increases their value. And pay close attention to the differences between a First Edition and a First Printing of a First Edition.

Not everyone appreciates the differences between these editions. I do, but I also buy books that are in their third printing or much later, so I am not married exclusively to first editions. I buy them when I see them at a good price and hopefully with a dust jacket.

I might suggest to those that prowl book sales, garage sales, and other places to consider what a modern author's books can be worth. Consider that some Stephen King first editions can sell for more than thirty grand.

Then there are the gems that must be first editions for many reasons that would only interest a collector and certainly does not take anything away from the reader experience. I really want a first edition "Old Man and the Sea" and I would dearly love a first edition "A Christmas Carol" in a Cosway style binding, but at almost 40 grand, that is a bit much.

And I am just as happy reading Dickens and Hemingway regardless of when the book was printed.

But like I said, if you are not a collector, you will not appreciate it, and that is fine. The whole of collecting is filled with generalists as well as the nuts with very specific requirements for the whatevers they collect.

I also collect stamps and for me, they must be MNH. Some argue that it does not matter, and many disagree and say it does. All collectors of things have preferences that non-collectors do not understand, and often leaves the non-collector confused. I mean why pay $150.00 for a rare 1896 Gulliver's Travels when a modern printing can be had for a few dollars almost anywhere?

Bob Maxey. When you say that there was a time when only the richest could afford books, you are mixing a sliver of European history with world history. Some ancient societies made libraries and their scrolls available to a wide selection of citizens. And it wasn't just movable type that changed things. Again, I recommend the James Burke series, "Connections," for insight into this.

And obviously, what books can be has evolved, along with literary tradition. Paperbacks were derided as cheap crap, pulp fiction. But obviously paperbacks allowed a wider segment of the public to have access to literature.

You are right that book collecting is a specialized activity. But this often has nothing to do with reading or valuing the book as something to be read.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am an avid reader and just love the feel of books. I have a library with 900 plus books so I guess I'm a collector too. I have started reading ebooks but only when travelling. Just love curling up with a real book on a rainy afternoon.

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would happily read a paper version of a book if someone had a copy of something that they wanted to recommend and lend, thereby saving me having to buy a copy.

That would probably be my only regret in purchasing electronic books; that I could not readily lend them to my friends.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would happily read a paper version of a book if someone had a copy of something that they wanted to recommend and lend, thereby saving me having to buy a copy.

That would probably be my only regret in purchasing electronic books; that I could not readily lend them to my friends.

Depends on the book, but some Kindle and Nook books are lendable. You also can check out e-books at many libraries now, though selection varies.

I still read a mix of e-books and print books. Just bought a print book a few days ago, and I've read three or four e-books this week. My print books stay at one of my homes, but the e-books can go everywhere with me.

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I think you can lend some Kindle books, maybe other readers as well. Of course, your friends also have to have a Kindle. I am not sure if this works if friends have a Kindle app, and not a Kindle reader.

Most reactions

Latest posts