What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blogs

Cynh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have subscribed to a few blogs. I read them on my android phone. However, I would love to get them on my iPad. How do I do this? I did a search in App Store which lead me to flipboard but that doesn't allow me to add the blogs. Please help.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Most blogs have RSS feeds, and that's usually the best way to follow a bunch of them. While you can add feeds manually to most RSS apps, it's usually better to use an RSS feed agrigator. This will let you keep your RSS reading app(s) synced across multiple devices and computers.

I've fond of Reeder by Slivio Rizzi. Pairing it with the Feedly RSS service works really well. Feedly has it's own app that you can use as instead; I just happen prefer Reeder's UI and features.

There are quite a few other RSS apps and services out there. I'm sure other's have their own favorites.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What twerppoet said. I, too, use Feedly to, well, "feed" RSS feeds from the blogs I follow to my preferred app, Reeder. It's the combo that works best from me.

And, thanks to the iPad, my following/reading of blogs is so much easier! I used to use a browser on a laptop to go to each blog and read new posts. Now, since I have the iPad (and the Reeder app), I get the new posts from each blog right when they're posted. It's amazing how long it took me to use RSS feeds - another reason I'm loving the iPad. :)

Marilyn

OP
C

Cynh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What twerppoet said. I, too, use Feedly to, well, "feed" RSS feeds from the blogs I follow to my preferred app, Reeder. It's the combo that works best from me.

And, thanks to the iPad, my following/reading of blogs is so much easier! I used to use a browser on a laptop to go to each blog and read new posts. Now, since I have the iPad (and the Reeder app), I get the new posts from each blog right when they're posted. It's amazing how long it took me to use RSS feeds - another reason I'm loving the iPad. :)

Marilyn

Thank you so much for your reply. I do not mean to sound stupid but what is the difference between feebly and reader? It seems you use the two together but I just don't see how?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Feedly is an RSS feed agrigator. A cloud service that collects RSS feeds and keeps them synced. You can subscribe to RSS feeds directly, but Feedly and other services put a layer over the top that makes it easier to discover (search for) new feeds, sync them bettween devices, and keep track of what you've read. If you ever used Google Reader, Feedly is pretty much the same thing.

Feedly also provides iOS and web clients that use their service. These are the front ends that you use to read and organize your feeds. Reader, which I use, is an alternate client that I like better than the one that Feedly provides.

If you want you can thinkg of it as the difference between having an email provider like Gmail, and an amail app like the iOS Mail app. Like Feedly, Google provides it's own web service and client, but you can use it with a different app if you want; like the iOS Mail app or some other third party email app.

This isn't an exact parrallel, but it's close. The main difference is that you have to have an email provider (or make your own). RSS Feeds can be subiscribed to direcly, so you don't have to have an RSS feed agrigator. It's just makes things easier.

In your case the basic (free) Feedly account is probably all you need. You could also use the free Feedly app and see if you like it. If you don't like the app, there are a muiltitude of other RSS reading apps that will sync with Feedly's service.

Note: Flipboard, which you mentioned earlier, also works based on RSS feeds, and you can add new feeds manually. So it could be used the way you want. I don't use it because it spends too much effort making the feeds look nice, and not enough keeping them organized. I want to efficiently get through my news with as few extra taps and screens as needed.

Most reactions

Latest posts