What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blind person being asked to pay for support in shop

Ingliside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
my friend Drew who is blind has been using an iPhone, iPad and iPod for a number of years to communicate with his friends using voiceover etc. He has been given superb support from the local Apple reseller (Stormfront) here in Inverness Scotland when he has got into difficulty. However he has now been informed by the reseller that on instructions from Apple he must now make an appointment (not a problem) and must be charged £10 (approx $12.5) for each query !!!! If this is fact why should Apple want to screw the blind when they make such monumental profits worldwide ??

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is a good question. I am not surprised by this.

Hi Thomas - you've responded to a 6-month old thread - the original OP did not return nor provide any information on his friend's iDevice models' ages or warranty status; nor whether the 'Apple Reseller' offered the same Apple warranties. But for those reading this thread and wondering - Apple offers just a limited 1-year warranty on their iDevices (see first pic below from the Apple Support website) w/ minimum phone coverage; of course AppleCare will extend that warranty, as shown. Now, if a device is 'out of warranty' (whether standard or AppleCare), Apple will evaluate a device at a $29 fee (plus more if a repair can be done; see second pic). So, providing 'free' advice, especially on a frequent basis and for products not in warranty, is just not a good business paradigm.

SO, if one owns an Apple iDevice(s), then a 1-year warranty is in effect (and rules exist, such as accidental damage); if AppleCare is purchased the warranty is extended to 2-years. If questions and/or problems arise when the device is no longer in warranty, then 'free advice' is available from forums (such as us), friends/family, and maybe a 'kind' retailer, but expect to be charged a minimum evaluation fee and then more if a repair can be done. Like calling a plumber or electrician to my house, I'm out $50-$100 just for the visit + more depending on the issue? Dave :)
Apple1.png
Apple2.png

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay I get it. I'm sorry for responding to a old thread. I did not have a iPad myself till this year. But I did have a iPod.

Most reactions