What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biggest App Scam or Biggest Developer Goof?

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Either way, this interesting TeX app won't work unless you agree---and it cost me eight bucks! P.S. Title should have read "Goof"!
FE3E2219-4793-4FE7-8FEB-EE6BB2D014F5.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would never grant a third party keyboard app full access. There's too much scope for abuse by an unethical developer with this full access.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Either way, this interesting TeX app won't work unless you agree---and it cost me eight bucks! P.S. Title should have read "Goof"!
View attachment 84768

Hi Tuttle - just curious 'where' you purchased this app? I cannot imagine Apple approving such a nefarious feature as a 'key logger'? I googled 'TeX app' and got the top hits below and then checked the App Store on my iPad - 'TeX Writer' & 'Textpad' are listed but at prices about double what you paid - please clarify for us - thanks. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 1.35.41 PM.png

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are a few specialty keyboards that work like this. They need to send your keystrokes to a server to work. Because this can easily be abused, Apple requires the full and rather scary disclosure you are seeing.

Hold in mind that the app only sees the info that you type when you use their keyboard. Info you type when you use the system keyboard is still secure.

Also, iOS won’t let you use a third party kebyoard to type in passwords. It automaticly switches back to the system keyboard when password input fields are presented.

Despite this, it’s a good idea to check out the developer and make sure they are resonably well known and dependable before installing a keyboard app. It’s possible they might sneak something past Apple temporarily.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Tuttle - just curious 'where' you purchased this app? I cannot imagine Apple approving such a nefarious feature as a 'key logger'? I googled 'TeX app' and got the top hits below and then checked the App Store on my iPad - 'TeX Writer' & 'Textpad' are listed but at prices about double what you paid - please clarify for us - thanks. Dave :)
View attachment 84769

Hi giradman,

I purchased it on the app store. I have the LaTeX apps you referred to, but thought it would be nice to have this one for simply writing equations to be used in other apps, such as email, etc. I woule think Twerpoet's suggestions are the true state of affairs, but I don't trust any developer enough to agree to such a thing. (I only use the other LaTeX apps in an off line compilation mode.)

Anyway, I thought it worthwhile to make other folks aware of the issue!

Most reactions

Latest posts