What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

request leg up re gift card entry, I goofed

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife has a rather newish iPad. Under "About" it says version 11.4.1. 'Not sure what that refers to. I won't post the model number - I doubt it matters.

Well she received a $25 "App Store & iTunes" gift card with a 16-digit number. I was trying to make that her 1st order default payment. I goofed. I can only change payments to Paypal or to a debit or credit card, whether from her iPad Settings or from my Windows PC browser at Apple site. Nothing about gift cards. Then I found out about Appstore.com/redeem. But that open iTunes and the first thing it says is that a software upgrade is required. Upgrade WHAT? ..upgrade HOW? I'm just not going there! I don't care if the $25 is forfeited!! (My reluctance is due in part to feeling that any major software updates, whether to Windows or Apple IOS are normally automatic. If I have to manually INITIATE something then I am NOT going there, sorry!)

In the meantime I made a goof that I think costs me an additional $25. In my attempts to enter the gift card as a payment method I tapped View My Apple ID and after login I tapped "Add money to Apple ID". When I did that, the initial pop-up dialogue said something about "Gift Card policies" across the bottom - yes, it truly does! So I thought I was on the right track and hit "Next". It asked me for an amount and I selected $25 from the list. Bingo - it was finished! Arggh! ..it never asked for the gift card number! So I assume it took $25 from the current default payment, my wife's debit card, and applied it to Apple ID for future use of Apple Pay. But we don't employ "Apple Pay"!! So my question is: can I get that $25 back?

I'm sorry if I'm dim - duh - some things are just very challenging for me.

Thank you.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You do not use the gift card as a payment method. Instead, open either the App Store, open the App tab and choose Redeem. Once you do all three of the stores (iBooks, iTunes, Apps) will have a positive balance.

I believe there are a couple of other routes/methods to redeem your gift card. I just used the one I know best.

The stores will use always use your redeemed balance before your credit or other payment methods are charged.

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great news! Thank you!
[Uh, this in response to the post assuring me that my $25 Add has nothing to do with Apple Pay but will be a credit to subsequent App Store or iTunes purchase.]

OP
K

kenatease

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks! ...I'll be working on that and post back.
[Uh, this in reply to explanatory post by twerppoet (I thought I clicked on Quote but I guess it didn't or I didn't, hehe)].

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What I described is the normal way to redeem an iTunes or App Store gift card.

In the past Apple Pay let you add a credit or debit card if you bank supported it. There was no way to directly add or transfer money. Now that you can activate Apple Pay Cash, it might be possible to redeem gift cards to that balance, but I don’t see anything on the support page suggesting you can.

What you can’t do is add a gift card to Apple Pay the way you would add a credit or debit card and expect it to show up in the Wallet app.

Note: The actual Wallet app only shows up on an iPhone. Adding cards to Apple Pay on an iPad is done through Settings. If there is another way I’m not aware of it.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe the only way to use a gift card from apple is through iTunes or the App Store. Also unless you redeemed it all ready it should ask for the number. It only asks for the gift card number once and then it’s done.

Most reactions

Latest posts