What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bestbuy and ipad 2

griswolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thanks for your help in my previous post. I returned My IPad that i got for Christmas, and was waiting for the IPad 2. Now I read that Bestbuy and the big box retailer will not have access for 6 months, and that they will only be sold from apple until at least October? I have a bestbuy gift card...so this helps me none! Regardless, do you think that that this is a valid "rumor"? If so I am going to just go and buy another ipad…

Thanks again for your replies!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not really sure why you would do that....but hey I guess you can always keep chasing the latest trend...even tho you know have to wait a year for it.

OP
G

griswolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn’t return it to chase trends. To me it just made more sense to hold off for 2 months if I was going to get something that was functionally going to be better for “me” (dual core, higher resolution screen, sd card functionality, being the big three). However, if is going to be 8 months, then I do not want to wait that long. My question is, do any of you think the rumor of apple being the only retailer for the first 6 months to sell these a viable one? I have a bestbuy card, which I am pretty sure Apple will not honor!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn’t return it to chase trends. To me it just made more sense to hold off for 2 months if I was going to get something that was functionally going to be better for “me†(dual core, higher resolution screen, sd card functionality, being the big three). However, if is going to be 8 months, then I do not want to wait that long. My question is, do any of you think the rumor of apple being the only retailer for the first 6 months to sell these a viable one? I have a bestbuy card, which I am pretty sure Apple will not honor!

Where have you seen that the iPad 2 will have a dual-core CPU and higher resolution screen?

OP
G

griswolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn’t return it to chase trends. To me it just made more sense to hold off for 2 months if I was going to get something that was functionally going to be better for “me” (dual core, higher resolution screen, sd card functionality, being the big three). However, if is going to be 8 months, then I do not want to wait that long. My question is, do any of you think the rumor of apple being the only retailer for the first 6 months to sell these a viable one? I have a bestbuy card, which I am pretty sure Apple will not honor!

Where have you seen that the iPad 2 will have a dual-core CPU and higher resolution screen?

google.

Lot’s of information available as to what it is supposed to include. I guess it is economically unfeasible for a retina display ipad, but supposedly it is going to include some type of HD screen. I understand that everything is speculation at this point, but let’s be realistic and assume that it is going to have certain upgrades to meet demands and pressure from other tablets. It will for certain have an upgraded chip.

Tasty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
From what understand you are correct the iPad 2 will not be sold for at least 6-8 months at any other retailers until apple sells it directly for awhile! Good luck

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn’t return it to chase trends. To me it just made more sense to hold off for 2 months if I was going to get something that was functionally going to be better for “me†(dual core, higher resolution screen, sd card functionality, being the big three). However, if is going to be 8 months, then I do not want to wait that long. My question is, do any of you think the rumor of apple being the only retailer for the first 6 months to sell these a viable one? I have a bestbuy card, which I am pretty sure Apple will not honor!

google.

Lot’s of information available as to what it is supposed to include. I guess it is economically unfeasible for a retina display ipad, but supposedly it is going to include some type of HD screen. I understand that everything is speculation at this point, but let’s be realistic and assume that it is going to have certain upgrades to meet demands and pressure from other tablets. It will for certain have an upgraded chip.

Sadly that is all rumor and speculation until it is confirmed. So sadly you could be waiting 8 months for a larger internal memory and maybe a camera (no promises tho.)

There is no chance there will be a dual core CPU involved since that would make the 1st gen obsolete and considering it is still fairly new and getting adopted and developers are just getting used to programming for it, it would be pretty stupid to go there so soon. It already includes an HD screen and the panel they use is very very high end top of the line. If they do decide on an SD card (and again its unlikely) it will only be to replace the camera kit...not for extra storage.

Basically as far as I can tell the only reason to get the iPad 2 at this point is to have it on Verizon (as there is very strong belief it will be dual band...tho that is still rumor as well...but at least its believable!)

If you want it, get it....if the new one is monumental and groundbreaking sell the current one (Apple products strongly hold their value) and buy the new one. I'd be pretty pissed tho if I gave someone an iPad for christmas and they returned it.....that would be the last nice gift that person got from me.

kctay

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gentlefury,

You were thinking just what I was thinking.......

"I'd be pretty pissed tho if I gave someone an iPad for christmas and they returned it.....that would be the last nice gift that person got from me."

Parents might have gave it to him......he is a Griswold after all..... :)

OP
G

griswolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury,

"I'd be pretty pissed tho if I gave someone an iPad for christmas and they returned it.....that would be the last nice gift that person got from me."

My parents buy gifts for my children not me, considering I am a grown man. My wife bought it for me, being the great wife she is, gave me the option of doing what I want with it, because she knew I was pontificating on waiting until April to getting the newer generation, or possibly getting the “speculated” iphone for Verizon if it was released. Those pesky internet speculators appeared to be right on that one.

However, to the both of you, it is really no concern of yours what I do with my possessions or money, and think it quite ignorant and arrogant for you to judge me or what I do with it. It is not your concern.

Why would they even release a new ipad if it does not have any improvements? Even the successive Iphones have speed improvements. One would think that Ipad would be more aggressive, due to it competing with computers and other Android based tablets, lending to a better processor to assist in multi-tasking.

Of course it is going to have a better processor and more ram. You would be silly to think it would not. An original Ipad is also not going to hold as much value once a new version of an ipad is released.

Last edited:

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury,

My parents buy gifts for my grandchildren not me, considering I am a grown man. My wife bought it for me, being the great wife she is, gave me the option of doing what I want with it, because she knew I was pontificating on waiting until April to getting the newer generation, or possibly getting the “speculated†iphone for Verizon if it was released. Those pesky internet speculators appeared to be right on that one.

However, to the both of you, it is really no concern of yours what I do with my possessions or money, and think it quite ignorant and arrogant for you to judge me or what I do with it. It is not your concern.

Why would they even release a new ipad if it does not have any improvements? Even the successive Iphones have speed improvements. One would think that Ipad would be more aggressive, due to in competing with computers and other Android based tablets, lending to a better processor to assist in multi-tasking.

Of course it is going to have a better processor and more ram. You would be silly to think it would not.

Because that is Apples business model. If you have kept track of iPhone and iPod Touch you would know that they never do large scale upgrades a generation apart.

Iphone 2G was simply a memory upgrade...iPod Touch 2G had more memory and was a little thinner...but really nothing new. iPhone 3G had a slight performance boost and a better camera....iPhone 3Gs was a 3G with a much faster CPU (this was a mid release that they normally don't do...they offered 3Gers a discount.) iPod Touch 3G was as fast as an iPhone 3Gs but otherwise the same as the 2G. iPhone 4G had a total rebuild of everything...new CPU, New screen, new body, front facing camera, much faster cpu...a totally new iPhone after 4 generations! iPod Touch 4G followed suit and got all the iPhone 4G features in a smaller frame.

By this logic the iPad 2G will most likely only bring an increase in memory. Possibly a more ergonomic body...and if they are feeling really frisky cameras (but this would only be to follow suit with the iPhone 4...remember it took 4 generations for the iPod touch to get a camera!).

Real changes, ie, CPU, RAM, OS (MacPad....please!), will not be coming until the 3rd gen. It isn't wise to make a product that works perfectly obsolete in 12 months....that will scare away anyone that isn't a rabid early adopter! Apple is not stupid..they know this and space out their features while keeping constant updates to keep the early and often people satisfied.

As for your finances...I could care less. All I'm saying is, I take offense to people returning gifts I give them. Has nothing to do with you or your wife...but if someone spent upwards of $900 on something I had been drooling over all year, the last thing I would do is return it. Take offense to that if you want...call me ignorant (tho I understand the facts of the situation...so I think you just don't know the meaning of the word) or arrogant...but it is simply my opinion.

I also told someone it was a total dick move giving his sister an empty iPad box as a birthday present.....because it would be.

Sorry for caring about other peoples feelings.

OP
G

griswolds

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury,

My parents buy gifts for my grandchildren not me, considering I am a grown man. My wife bought it for me, being the great wife she is, gave me the option of doing what I want with it, because she knew I was pontificating on waiting until April to getting the newer generation, or possibly getting the “speculated” iphone for Verizon if it was released. Those pesky internet speculators appeared to be right on that one.

Why would they even release a new ipad if it does not have any improvements? Even the successive Iphones have speed improvements. One would think that Ipad would be more aggressive, due to in competing with computers and other Android based tablets, lending to a better processor to assist in multi-tasking.

Of course it is going to have a better processor and more ram. You would be silly to think it would not.

Because that is Apples business model. If you have kept track of iPhone and iPod Touch you would know that they never do large scale upgrades a generation apart.

Iphone 2G was simply a memory upgrade...iPod Touch 2G had more memory and was a little thinner...but really nothing new. iPhone 3G had a slight performance boost and a better camera....iPhone 3Gs was a 3G with a much faster CPU (this was a mid release that they normally don't do...they offered 3Gers a discount.) iPod Touch 3G was as fast as an iPhone 3Gs but otherwise the same as the 2G. iPhone 4G had a total rebuild of everything...new CPU, New screen, new body, front facing camera, much faster cpu...a totally new iPhone after 4 generations! iPod Touch 4G followed suit and got all the iPhone 4G features in a smaller frame.

By this logic the iPad 2G will most likely only bring an increase in memory. Possibly a more ergonomic body...and if they are feeling really frisky cameras (but this would only be to follow suit with the iPhone 4...remember it took 4 generations for the iPod touch to get a camera!).

Real changes, ie, CPU, RAM, OS (MacPad....please!), will not be coming until the 3rd gen. It isn't wise to make a product that works perfectly obsolete in 12 months....that will scare away anyone that isn't a rabid early adopter! Apple is not stupid..they know this and space out their features while keeping constant updates to keep the early and often people satisfied.

As for your finances...I could care less. All I'm saying is, I take offense to people returning gifts I give them. Has nothing to do with you or your wife...but if someone spent upwards of $900 on something I had been drooling over all year, the last thing I would do is return it. Take offense to that if you want...call me ignorant (tho I understand the facts of the situation...so I think you just don't know the meaning of the word) or arrogant...but it is simply my opinion.

I also told someone it was a total dick move giving his sister an empty iPad box as a birthday present.....because it would be.

why would you care about my wife's feelings? you dont. you decided to be an ass via a message board and got called on it. i just asked a simple question. I did not need a life lesson Dr. Phil.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see how you can call the present iPad panel "top of the line" when their own iPhone 4 has a panel that is FAR superior to it. There is no comparison in sharpness.

The iPad uses this:

HP DreamColor LP2480zx Professional Monitor overview - HP Small & Medium Business products

exact panel.

Its about as high end as you can get on a consumer product.

Don't forget the iPhone has a MUCH smaller phone....which makes it easier to make things look sharper. To make a 10" screen identical but bigger to the iPhone would cost a couple thousand dollars...and I don't think anyone is going to shell out $3000 for an iPad.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My parents buy gifts for my grandchildren not me, considering I am a grown man. My wife bought it for me, being the great wife she is, gave me the option of doing what I want with it, because she knew I was pontificating on waiting until April to getting the newer generation, or possibly getting the “speculated†iphone for Verizon if it was released. Those pesky internet speculators appeared to be right on that one.

why would you care about my wife's feelings? you dont. you decided to be an ass via a message board and got called on it. i just asked a simple question. I did not need a life lesson Dr. Phil.

Or maybe you feel like an ass now for returning a thoughtful gift....I don't really give a crap.

Anyway...yes you should return it and wait another year for a 128GB (its damn near impossible to fill 64GB) iPad with no real new features....have fun.

Most reactions