What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to store huge amounts of date while on vacation where internet isn't?

OP
G

GARoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airstash is ideal for you, AirStash®: wireless flash drive + pocket media server + SD adapter for iPad, iPhone, Kindle Fire, and more

By the sounds of it this is exactly what you need with a collection of 8/16/32MB cards!

I have one and they are great.

AirStash, I think, maxs out at 32Gb & files would need to be loaded to my iPad, then transferred to it. I'd like to avoid that if I could. This is the same issue I have with WiFi type hard drives like the Seagate Satellite.

Several 32Gb class 10 SDHC cards would work & 1/2 the price of a HyperDrive. The HyperDrives LCD is about the size of my Canon 60Ds LCD. I'm not interested in hacking my iPad 3 so those are probably the best options.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
GARoss said:
AirStash, I think, maxs out at 32Gb & files would need to be loaded to my iPad, then transferred to it. I'd like to avoid that if I could. This is the same issue I have with WiFi type hard drives like the Seagate Satellite.

Several 32Gb class 10 SDHC cards would work & 1/2 the price of a HyperDrive. The HyperDrives LCD is about the size of my Canon 60Ds LCD. I'm not interested in hacking my iPad 3 so those are probably the best options.

You can get the non LCD version for $99. Then add a laptop drive and be good to go. I think you need the version that reads cards, though. I'm going to get the non LCD version rather than spend $200 on the seagate.

OP
G

GARoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can get the non LCD version for $99. Then add a laptop drive and be good to go. I think you need the version that reads cards, though. I'm going to get the non LCD version rather than spend $200 on the seagate.

You're right. In my case, not everyone's, I don't want to spend extra time while on vacation downloading the SDHC card to the iPad, then uploading to another drive.

Also, as you mentioned, with the $99 model you'll need a 2.5" HDD so the overall cost would be closer to $200 depending on which HDD you get. The Colorspace model starts at $250 + HDD so more like $350. But, after looking a prices of similar "photo storage" HDDs @ B&H, $350 isn't bad.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad is most decidedly not a storage device for photographers

I am a photographer and the only photographic value it presents is a tool with which to show your images, not to store them. I use my MB Air to sote them but a Hyperdrive could do the same for you and occupy less space.

OP
G

GARoss

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a photographer and the only photographic value it presents is a tool with which to show your images, not to store them. I use my MB Air to sote them but a Hyperdrive could do the same for you and occupy less space.

We shopped laptops vs tablets & iPad won because 99.9% of the time we need the convenience of a tablet's size. It isn't my intention to sort, crop or color correct while on vacation. If I did, a laptop would of been the best option. But, I did have the false belief that images on the SDHC card could be view with the iPad without transferring the images into iPad. That's wrong.

The HyperDrive Colorspace will operate as a stand alone unit. What it does different than other photo storage devices is it will communicate with an iPad so images can transferred, etc.

The more I think about this I think getting several 32Gb class 10 SDHC cards is the way to go. I can always pop the card into my camera & view images at about the same size & quality as the HyperDrive @ 1/2 the cost.

Most reactions

Latest posts