What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Remote Desktop App

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes but... Splashtop won't survive a reboot. If you're looking to do any remote maintenance that requires a reboot and then a log-in, ST is not the choice.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm getting a 2011 iMac with an iPad 2 in a week for university next year. I want a remote desktop app but can't decide between iteleport, logmeinignition, and jump desktop. Here are my requirements:

No monthly fee
Must be compatible with the apple Bluetooth keyboard
Must work over wifi and 3G
Must be fast, Probably going to watch hulu on the iPad
Be mac and windows compatible
Be able to turn on my iMac from my iPad or wake it from sleep
Must have sound ~ I am aware jump only has sound in windows so is it possible to log in my bootcamp partition from my iPad in jump?

What I want it be able to do is give me the closest experience to a laptop as possible, so speed is important. Also, my iMac is going to be in my dorm room and I don't want my roommate to see every little thing i do, so is there a way to turn off the screen while I use my remote desktop app.

Thanks!

You way wish to check out Pocketcloud. It works over wifi and 3g. Free version only allows one connection.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The best RDC for the iPad is by far Splashtop®!! Very fluent minimal to NO LAG if at all cheap and no annual subscription. Also works OFF network (ie.. If your in class and need to access your desktop or laptop for a file or whatever the case maybe) This is do-able within this app, It also re-sizes the desktop to native resolution of the iPad so you dont have to Pan, Pinch, Zoom every other gesture. 10/10 for SURE!!! did I mention its only $.99!!!
If by RDP you meant Remote Desktop Client then Splashtop is not it: it is not in anyway a remote desktop client. It uses its own remote server app, not RDP. It does not run as a service under Windows so is not available after a reboot.

Moreover while Splashtop is great for multimedia it is far from great for actually working remotely. The zoom and "mouse" controls of, say, iTap RDP, are far better. iTap will bring sound remotely but it's not for multimedia.

I use several remote control and remote access apps:
Windows:
iTap RDP
Splashtop Remote
ZumoCast (remote file access)

Mac:
PocketCloud
Splashtop Remote
ZumoCast

With the above I can do just about anything remotely, via Wifi or 3G (though have to do port forwarding for a few of the apps--trivial for me I do that stuff all the time).

Michael

Reaction score
The best RDC for the iPad is by far Splashtop®!! Very fluent minimal to NO LAG if at all cheap and no annual subscription. Also works OFF network (ie.. If your in class and need to access your desktop or laptop for a file or whatever the case maybe) This is do-able within this app, It also re-sizes the desktop to native resolution of the iPad so you dont have to Pan, Pinch, Zoom every other gesture. 10/10 for SURE!!! did I mention its only $.99!!!
If by RDP you meant Remote Desktop Client then Splashtop is not it: it is not in anyway a remote desktop client. It uses its own remote server app, not RDP. It does not run as a service under Windows so is not available after a reboot.

Moreover while Splashtop is great for multimedia it is far from great for actually working remotely. The zoom and "mouse" controls of, say, iTap RDP, are far better. iTap will bring sound remotely but it's not for multimedia.

I use several remote control and remote access apps:
Windows:
iTap RDP
Splashtop Remote
ZumoCast (remote file access)

Mac:
PocketCloud
Splashtop Remote
ZumoCast

With the above I can do just about anything remotely, via Wifi or 3G (though have to do port forwarding for a few of the apps--trivial for me I do that stuff all the time).

Michael

Is Team Viewer considered RDP? It is a windows service that starts automatically on a reboot afaik.
My Splashtop is an app but I have it set to start on reboot

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is Team Viewer considered RDP? It is a windows service that starts automatically on a reboot afaik.

Support Our Troops!
TeamViewer is not RDP either. It uses a form of VNC. RDP is a service provided under pro or higher versions of Windows by default (but home versions can be hacked to enable it too). RDP does not need or use third-party server software. So anything that requires the installation of software on the PC to be controlled is most likely not using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).

I have Splashtop setup to start on startup but it doesn't actually start till logged in. Ergo if I rebooted the PC and only used Splashtop I could not get back in. But I also use iTap RDP on my iPad/iPhone so can login and get the machine fully booted so that Splashtop loads. I suppose if you had a Windows PC that required no password and booted right to the desktop Splashtop would work right after a reboot. But I never have Windows setup to boot right to the desktop with no password.

One other point: When using either Splashtop or most VNC solutions on a Windows/Mac, if the monitor is on and awake anyone at that PC can see what you are doing. RDP does not behave this way--the remote screen does not show (unless you are specifically using Remote Assistance, which is designed for dual view). Teamview offers the ability to blank the host screen. This might not be an issue but the idea of someone can be watching kinda creeps me out.

Michael

Reaction score

Support Our Troops!
TeamViewer is not RDP either. It uses a form of VNC. RDP is a service provided under pro or higher versions of Windows by default (but home versions can be hacked to enable it too). RDP does not need or use third-party server software. So anything that requires the installation of software on the PC to be controlled is most likely not using RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol).

I have Splashtop setup to start on startup but it doesn't actually start till logged in. Ergo if I rebooted the PC and only used Splashtop I could not get back in. But I also use iTap RDP on my iPad/iPhone so can login and get the machine fully booted so that Splashtop loads. I suppose if you had a Windows PC that required no password and booted right to the desktop Splashtop would work right after a reboot. But I never have Windows setup to boot right to the desktop with no password.

One other point: When using either Splashtop or most VNC solutions on a Windows/Mac, if the monitor is on and awake anyone at that PC can see what you are doing. RDP does not behave this way--the remote screen does not show (unless you are specifically using Remote Assistance, which is designed for dual view). Teamview offers the ability to blank the host screen. This might not be an issue but the idea of someone can be watching kinda creeps me out.

Michael

Thanks Michael. That helps a lot . I used to have my computer set up to skip the log in but I have more than 1 user now. I guess I could set it to open to owner still and switch users after a boot up when I'm actually at it but I doubt I'll ever try
Yes ,I have freaked my kids out with Team Viewer :D

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:

Bertdogg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find Splashtop Remote the best. Very easy to set up and use. Also the experimental feature that lets you connect using other networks has been flawless so far. I live in Canada and have connected to my laptop from Seattle..lol.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LogMeIn?

I have LogMeIn Ignition but use Splashtop more often. LogMeIn does survive reboots as I've used it to reboot remotely many times. Is it RDP?

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have LogMeIn Ignition but use Splashtop more often. LogMeIn does survive reboots as I've used it to reboot remotely many times. Is it RDP?
No it is not RDP. Logmein installs its own proprietary server component which on Windows is registered as a service. This means it is loaded when the machine starts up, and before you have logged in, assuming you need to login. Splashtop, OTOH, does not load as a service: it does not start till the user actually logs into Windows.

So if you are using windows and have both Splashtop and LMI you should be able to get the machine going with LMI and then let Splashtop load so you can then come back in that way if you wanted to.

Michael

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Michael, can you provide more info on Pocketcloud.

PocketCloud is both a VNC and RDP client and works with the iPhone and iPad (and touch of course). I don't really use it for RDP much, as I prefer iTap RDP for that. But it PocketCloud is good enough to do both if you only wanted one app.

I use the Pro version which is 14.99. There was no "free" version when I got it, but there is now. I'm not sure of the difference between free and pro but if I was trying it just now I would start with the free version. Here is an iTunes to it:
Wyse PocketCloud RDP / VNC (Remote Desktop) for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Michael

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tinman said:
So if you are using windows and have both Splashtop and LMI you should be able to get the machine going with LMI and then let Splashtop load so you can then come back in that way if you wanted to.

Michael

Yep. Usually, it is rebooted from a Windows update but it takes LogMeIn to get everything up and running (including iTunes so media can be shared on my iPad). After that, I don't have much use for LMI. Sometimes Splashtop acts flacky and LMI is then helpful to get it working again.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The free version of Pocketcloud allows only one connection.

I had some trouble with my xp.pro laptop and Pocketcloud. I couldn't get RDP to work... had to install tightVNC in order for it to have connectivity. Haven't figured that out yet.

Here's a comparison of the free and pro versions. Scroll down and click the compare tab.

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a way for Pocketcloud to match up to the iPad's resolution (more like SplashTop), what I am seeing is the Windows taskbar about an inch away from the bottom of the screen in landscape? I like the controls, particularly the precision of the "mouse."

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
speedlever said:
The free version of Pocketcloud allows only one connection.

I had some trouble with my xp.pro laptop and Pocketcloud. I couldn't get RDP to work... had to install tightVNC in order for it to have connectivity. Haven't figured that out yet.

Here's a comparison of the free and pro versions. Scroll down and click the compare tab.

Doesn't appear to be free anymore. The 1-connection version os 99cents. Not bad.

Most reactions

Latest posts