What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best professional-quality photoviewer?

Holgaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My main reason for getting an iPad is to show photos to prospective clients as a supplement to my regular printed photography portfolio. Right now I have Photos, FlexFolios, and Photo-Sort, but none of those really seems to be the perfect solution. Photos has really great image quality, probably the best of those three, but I can't find a way to put the photos in the order I want (renaming doesn't work), which is important to me. Photos in FlexFolios loose sharpness and don't have a thumbnail view in case I want to find a specific image quickly. Also, the transition when turning the iPad is rather clunky. Photo-Sort is not too bad, the image quality is better than FlexFolios, but when swiping from one photo to the next, the image takes about a second to load to hi-res sharpness. It also doesn't have a way to email photos directly from the program like the others do.

I know I'm being fussy, but I really would like to find some app that has profession quality viewing and features. Anyone have any experience with any other apps or outside computer programs that will sync with the iPad?

clarkee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you manually organise your images in iPhoto, then batch rename them, something like 'portraits1' 'portraits2' etc, when you Sync to your iPad the photographs will be in that order in the iPads iPhoto app.

That way works for me anyway :)

OP
H

Holgaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you manually organise your images in iPhoto, then batch rename them, something like 'portraits1' 'portraits2' etc, when you Sync to your iPad the photographs will be in that order in the iPads iPhoto app.

I thought there should be a way to organize the photos in iPhoto, but don't use it enough to know how. I'll look into it, thanks.

smilepak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sad part is you can't organize subfolder on you computer. iTunes takes all subfolder as one single folder.

OP
H

Holgaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sad part is you can't organize subfolder on you computer. iTunes takes all subfolder as one single folder.

I didn't have that problem. I made a main folder called iPad, and then made subfolders under that for different categories of photos. When syncing in iTunes, I chose the iPad folder on my computer rather than from iPhoto. There was then a larger box that showed the subfolders and allowed me to choose which I wanted to transfer.
If you choose iPhoto to sync from, it does dump all the photos into one folder, but when viewing them in Photos, you can see the different sets by clicking on the events tab, rather than the folders tab. It just calls them something different than what we're normally used to.

OP
H

Holgaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I found out you have to select all the photos from an event and make them into an album before iPhoto will let you re-arrange the photos, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your help.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I occurs to me that Keynote might be a good solution. You could arrange things as you like and even provide text and such.

I have Numbers and Pages, but haven't taken the plunge for Keynote yet, so perhaps some one else could respond about the practicality of using it to display photos...

clarkee

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I found out you have to select all the photos from an event and make them into an album before iPhoto will let you re-arrange the photos, but this is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I should have said that you need to put them in an album to begin with! Then follow the steps I suggested.

Most reactions