What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Offline GPS Map App?

LTCSZ

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi: I have just purchased the IPad Air 2 Wi-Fi and Cellular device...(I do not have a cellular plan as of now)...I know that the unit has a built in GPS chip...Can anyone recommend a really good GPS mapping program that downloads the maps, mainly USA, to the device so I do not have to depend on "on the fly" download of maps? There are so many mapping programs; I do not want to purchase a junk one!
Thanks for your assistance...

Steve in Kansas

Jvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi: I have just purchased the IPad Air 2 Wi-Fi and Cellular device...(I do not have a cellular plan as of now)...I know that the unit has a built in GPS chip...Can anyone recommend a really good GPS mapping program that downloads the maps, mainly USA, to the device so I do not have to depend on "on the fly" download of maps? There are so many mapping programs; I do not want to purchase a junk one!
Thanks for your assistance...

Steve in Kansas
I use Pocket Earth, not a true GPS system but allows you to down load maps and use them off line, also has lots of other stuff, servos, hotels, railway stations, tourist stuff etc. you can create routes, and use them ofline etc. Have just done 2 months in Europe and was the only map we carried.

Jvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use pocket earth from the App store $4 approx. not a true GPS system but allows you to download maps and use them on line or ofline. Has lots of other stuff, servos, hotels, railway stations, tube maps tourist stuff etc. You can create routes and use them off line. Have just done 2 months in Europe and was only map we used. You can also create bookmarks for places you want to visit and they show up on the map allowing you to create a route to them

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
CoPilot has a free version that you can try. It comes with a basic USA map. I doubt is has everything you want without paying for at least one or two in-app purchases, but you can try out the UI and decide if you like the way it works with no more investment than your time.

I have an older, not-free, version of CoPilot. For the price at the time (about $26) it was a pretty good deal.

That said, I rarely use it. I like Maps and Google Maps better, and since I have a cellular data plan I rarely need to fall back on CoPilot. But, having it there, just in case, makes me feel better.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting subject, so I looked at Pocket Earth. I noticed that the free app says that the upgrade to the Pro version is £2.99 (in the UK) and the Pro version is £7.99; both prices in the UK app store. As there does not appear to be any way to do the upgrade from inside the free version I emailed the authors last night and await a reply. I assume a typo...

Jvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting subject, so I looked at Pocket Earth. I noticed that the free app says that the upgrade to the Pro version is £2.99 (in the UK) and the Pro version is £7.99; both prices in the UK app store. As there does not appear to be any way to do the upgrade from inside the free version I emailed the authors last night and await a reply. I assume a typo...
I bought

Jvee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the Pro Version, I think was $4 something in Aus. Still happy with it, more I use it mor things I find it can do

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the Pro Version, I think was $4 something in Aus. Still happy with it, more I use it mor things I find it can do
$4 would equate to the £2.99. Emailed the developers, but no reply yet...

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While no reply, I have noticed that the prices are now the same (£2.29 in the UK. -slight price drop too!)

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've now been using Pocket Earth for a while now and finding it very useful. (Paid for the pro version recently.) Great for tracking our walks and will soon put it to use abroad.

mfldmike

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using maps.me...doesn't offer routing but I don't need to blindly follow GPS either

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts