What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I did just notice that 'the note, Moka!' is a free app today. I downloaded it but have never used it or messed with it yet. Just wanted to let you know of it before it goes back to a paid app.

Thanks, will check it out.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was just reading this thread this morning over coffee and then decided to go through and see what note apps I have, which seem to be too many (if only I could take all my likes from them and merge them into 1 app).

I did just notice that 'the note, Moka!' is a free app today. I downloaded it but have never used it or messed with it yet. Just wanted to let you know of it before it goes back to a paid app.
You mention you have many Note Apps... May I ask of the one's you have which one in particular do you get drawn to the most?
I'm still undecided on an App, such is the richness of Apps available.

j joy j

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You mention you have many Note Apps... May I ask of the one's you have which one in particular do you get drawn to the most?
I'm still undecided on an App, such is the richness of Apps available.

The ones I have on my iPad right now are, in no particular order:
Notability
Noteshelf
NoteTaker HD
Penultimate
Notes Plus
Bamboo Paper
GoodNotes
Capture Notes

I like note apps that have a zoom type area with some sort of wrist protection. Something that is easy to access quickly and allows me to have multiple notebooks/folders and can add multiple notes.

The first 3 are ones that I use the most or tend to open and mess in. The last one seems to have lots of options and I haven't messed in that one much, not saying it's bad just haven't had the time to sit down and test it.

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The ones I have on my iPad right now are, in no particular order:
Notability
Noteshelf
NoteTaker HD
Penultimate
Notes Plus
Bamboo Paper
GoodNotes
Capture Notes

I like note apps that have a zoom type area with some sort of wrist protection. Something that is easy to access quickly and allows me to have multiple notebooks/folders and can add multiple notes.

The first 3 are ones that I use the most or tend to open and mess in. The last one seems to have lots of options and I haven't messed in that one much, not saying it's bad just haven't had the time to sit down and test it.
Thanks.
I too have the same requirements..... However I keep getting drawn back to Notes Plus. Reason being having used the incredible S Notes app on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 I rather like the idea of having the Note app open alongside a browser window and being able to flick-drop any pics etc from the browser. It also shares the ability in letting you draw rough diagrams only for them to be corrected by the app.
Not sure though how the zoom and fluidity of writing would compare.
The Note 10.1 uses a wacom screen and pen so pressure sensitivity is also supported. I enjoy taking notes on the Galaxy Note 10.1 as such I want that experience to remain the same when using the iPad. Oh decisions decisions.........

krzysiekwie

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I like Moka's shelf design but other than pretty it's rather quite standard.

On the other hand one reason I keep coming back to Notes Plus is their zoom-in writing window with auto-advance area on the left instead of the right. This seems so much more natural to me. Haven't seen that anywhere else, is there any other writing app working in the same way?

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
On the other hand one reason I keep coming back to Notes Plus is their zoom-in writing window with auto-advance area on the left instead of the right. This seems so much more natural to me. Haven't seen that anywhere else, is there any other writing app working in the same way?
Agree...... Isn't it funny but it's the little things like this which seem to draw you in and captivate your attention. It says a lot about a company, clearly putting a little thought behind their workings.

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do these note taking apps support text formatting ? I
Am actually Looking for a free word processor to do
Some decent covering letters that I can later cut and paste + mail

TIA

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guys, I've been searching for Note apps that will fulfil various roles on my iPad ~ General Note taking, Diary, Journal, but there's one area in particular I am seeking to widen and that is with the default Notes app.
Although I love the simplicity of the Notes app in that it lists on the left-hand side the Note titles leaving the centre for typed notes but what it lacks is any means of adding an element of 'punch' to the type face.
Ideally I would still love the simplicity and the titles on the left but with the main body of text an ability to change the typeface wherever and whenever.
I would like to have different Fonts, Bold, Underlined, Italic, Highlighted text and possibly pictures added (although not a necessity).

What apps have you come across that takes the default Notes app to a more creative affair?

Thanks in advance.
Beards

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I take a ton of notes. And I am a big fan of Microsoft Onenote for ability to write text, draw with ink, include pictures, audio, etc.

Looking for a solution that rivals One note. Ideally would import my existing one note notes.

Would like the ability to:
* write text, draw, include photos, audio.
* have multiple folders/notebooks however you term it
* search across notes, sections, folders, etc
* option of sharing notes
* sync possibly - either with a client on laptop or with one note

Right now I am looking at School Notes Pro, mobilenoter, and Evernote.

Tried evernote when first came available with iPhone. I know it got a lot better, but would love to hear from someone using now on iPad how easy it is for my requirements above. Also, I am a bit nervous on the security/privacy front.

Mobilenoter just seems to be a couple steps back on some of the capabilities, but I like the onenote sync feature.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

Hi I stumbled on Note Anytime

Free for now!

Will not be free for long

Great app IMHO

regards

Subu

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Guys, I've been searching for Note apps that will fulfil various roles on my iPad ~ General Note taking, Diary, Journal, but there's one area in particular I am seeking to widen and that is with the default Notes app.
Although I love the simplicity of the Notes app in that it lists on the left-hand side the Note titles leaving the centre for typed notes but what it lacks is any means of adding an element of 'punch' to the type face.
Ideally I would still love the simplicity and the titles on the left but with the main body of text an ability to change the typeface wherever and whenever.
I would like to have different Fonts, Bold, Underlined, Italic, Highlighted text and possibly pictures added (although not a necessity).

What apps have you come across that takes the default Notes app to a more creative affair?

Thanks in advance.
Beards
Two weeks later and I still can not find a general Notes app replacement.
How hard can it be to simply have an app that works exactly the same as Apples default Notes app but with a couple of extras such as different Fonts, Rich Text Formatting (Bold, Italic, Underline, Highlight, etc) and to be able to add a photo with drawing annotations if needed.
I have tried some of the apps similar to Noteshelf and Notes Plus but they don't allow you to copy a large note and insert it where it flows into several pages.

For general text entry I have Evernote but two things stop me from using it as the replacement:-
1. It does not show the titles of your notes to the Left of the main typing area like the Notes app shows.
2. It only works if you have an Internet connection.

So, if anyone has any suggestions please feel free to add.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ipad.subu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Evernote on iPad, Desktop, Android, Windows Phone.

The free version of Evernote has some silly monthly upload limit of 60 mob which is quite small in today's world

D you manage within that ? Or ?

Regards
Subu

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have different favorite note apps for different purposes:

• Evernote for storing and just viewing notes and attachments from emailed documents

• Notability for taking meeting notes and keeping them organized in categories and subcategories, and annotating meeting handouts as well.

Notability is also a top favorite because I can quickly switch to handwriting mode when I get tired of onscreen typing.

Most reactions

Latest posts