What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

jfhey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!
Glad to hear that Outline+ works great with Onenote since I really liked the feel of Outline+.

The only drawbacks are that there's no Outline+ for iphone, so I would have ro use Microsoft Onenote for iphone.. don't know how this would play together with Outline+.
Besides, there's no Onenote for mac - I'm still using windows, but plan to switch back to an old macbook that I still have.
The good thing is, though, that There's a Microsoft Powertool to import files hidden in folders and subfolders into Onenote - exactly what I need.

Do you have experience with exporting from onenote into an opml-file, editing it in a mindmap, and importing it back into onenote? Does that work?

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jfhey said:
Thanks for your reply!
Glad to hear that Outline+ works great with Onenote since I really liked the feel of Outline+.

The only drawbacks are that there's no Outline+ for iphone, so I would have ro use Microsoft Onenote for iphone.. don't know how this would play together with Outline+.
Besides, there's no Onenote for mac - I'm still using windows, but plan to switch back to an old macbook that I still have.
The good thing is, though, that There's a Microsoft Powertool to import files hidden in folders and subfolders into Onenote - exactly what I need.

Do you have experience with exporting from onenote into an opml-file, editing it in a mindmap, and importing it back into onenote? Does that work?

I think the iPhone screen is too small for outline and it's menus, they might developed something if there is enough interest.
Sorry no experience with your Opml file question.

jfhey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the iPhone screen is too small for outline and it's menus, they might developed something if there is enough interest.
Sorry no experience with your Opml file question.

It might be too small to really work with it, but for me its about being able to simply read and edit the notes when I dont carry the ipad with me. I hope onenote for ipad can do it, although microsoft probably doesnt support dropbox and wants everything to be done over their skydrive :confused:

The only issue I noticed in Outline+: you can not select more than 1 line to copy!! You have to copy a block of text line by line! Very bad for a note-app...

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jfhey said:
The only issue I noticed in Outline+: you can not select more than 1 line to copy!! You have to copy a block of text line by line! Very bad for a note-app...

No issue , just got to know how, Tap once selects the text block, tap twice selects a word and then from there you can select a line. See pic below

image-1508878039.jpg

jfhey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you can select a line. See pic below

View attachment 22761

that's exactly it: you can only select one line of text, not the whole textblock or sentence. But it seems that the developers are planning to implement ii in a future update.

I'm still not sure if I should migrate to OneNote or OmniOutliner. I love the look & feel of onenote, and the creative potential. Also, Outline+ is fantastic and very promising about the future development.
But maybe an outliner would provide a more clear structure (because of the unlimited subfolders and because you can hide the notes within a subfolder), and it has a good working iphone-ipad-sync, so I'd be able to take notes anywhere, fast.

Do you have any thoughts on this?

sn4ke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use OmniOutliner for my note taking (after using a lot of other note taking apps). I like the fact that I can use outlines and then export them as OPML into iThoughtsHD as a mindmap. I can also import mindmaps into OmniOutliner, and they appear as an outline.

In short, OmniOutliner gives me the freedom to take my notes in any of two ways, as an outline or as a mindmap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

jfhey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hmm, seems I'll definately have to try out OmniOutliner too. Do you sync your files between iPhone and iPad (if you have both) usind iCloud?
Do I get it right that OmniOutliner does not use an opml file, but you can export to and import from opml?

Fee Fi Fo Fum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Note Taker HD, after you get used with the commands, is the best i used so far. I just started my graduate class, and needed something for all related notes in class, and this one has it all.
- Handwrite
- Keyboard imput
- Shapes imput (flowchart, arrows, charts, etc)
- Pictures
- PDF documents
And i can write over pictures and documents, email them and more.

Tested Upad, very good too, but lacked on flowchart forms, and many others, free, $0,99, $1,99 and so on....
I´m sure that is a way to create templates, but i´m taking notes on the go as the teacher speaks or put them on the black board, and Note Taker has everything in hand.

robdam1001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remarks by Readdle or Notability. They both do it all. I prefer Remarks due to better categorization ability and truly auto syncing to DropBox.

ethanambabo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been developing LooseLeaf - an app that allows you to quickly write and sort notes, tasks, questions, and ideas. All you have to do is write your notes, and then put symbols in the margin to classify your notes. Then you can choose to see only tasks, or only questions, etc.

I'm currently in a closed beta, but looking for more feedback -

Thanks!

Moderation Notice:
This post has been edited by the iPadForums staff in accordance with the Forum Rules
No External Links...including Email/Facebook/Twitter Accounts

Last edited by a moderator:

dinkhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't see anything explaining the difference between the free version and the pro version.

Cevil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use evernote too because I can use my account on my Macbook too

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
rosaura1234 said:
I have used the Notability , and it has an awesome zoom mode which lets you write in large letters and then shrinks them down.The price is low with $0.99.

Thanks for pointing out Notability. Because of your post, I decided to reinstall it and took the time to explore its many features.

I like that I can I can back up notes by linking it to Dropbox and I can easily switch between typing and writing notes by hand within the same note.

It has a lot going for it.

I'm beginning to shift away from notetaking with a stylus to typing because after taking copious notes, I often need to do a keyword search to find a particular page.

Last edited:

Lesnla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My profs send their ppt's in pdf format, and I use goodreader and iannotate (why 2? Bc both are great and I can't decide. Iannotate handles larger files better, but goodreader I prefer). You can take notes on the pdf's using either.

You can open the ppt's in keynote on ipad, save as pdf and voila- Open again in goodreader or iannotate. Or upad, or any notetaking app you might prefer, then take notes on them. But a reader has more capabilities than a notetaking app for annotating slides/docs...well, that I have found. I tried a notetaking app but gave up because I cannot match the speed at which I write with a pen and paper on my ipad using any app I've tried. So I use a notebook and my slides on goodreader during class.

Upad has wrist block, but actually, bamboo paper has best wristblock/handwriting capabilities I think. Too bad its strictly a diary type app.

- a fellow grad student

Last edited:

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have used a lot of note taking apps since the early days of iPad 1, then iPad 2, and now iPad 3. For quite some time I felt that Note Taker HD was the best, but I think it has recently been surpassed by several others. My current favorite is GoodNotes, which just had a tremendous upgrade.

You might like to have a look. There is a freebie version which limits you to two notebooks, so you could try it, then upgrade if you liked it.

Most reactions