What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

ntc3freak

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new here :)

I'll be getting the new iPad in the summer when my current semester is over. I would like to use my iPad as my notebook in the next semester. I'm sick and tired of carrying lumps of heavy papers to and from lectures. So I'm looking for a note taking app that achieves the following :

- good handwriting capability ( I will only write by hand and not type)
- good choice of colors and ink and pen types, etc.
- ability to insert a pdf file in the current note I'm taking, even when the note already has handwritten notes
- ability to annotate pdf and scribble on it
- good choice of general shapes so I don't have to free draw them (lines, circles, rectangles, arrow, double arrows, etc.)
- the ability to record audio while I'm writing notes would be great as well
- good organization. I will be having one notebook for each subject, and for each notebook I would like to separate them according to Chapters and Exercises
- automatic sync and backup with Dropbox
- ability to cut and paste parts of a PDF file (does this feature even exist?)
- smooth handwriting experience and little to no lag
- normal functions like palm rest and zoom window
- optimized for left-handed usage (is there a difference?)
- ability to easily copy paste parts of my notes to another

I think that should be about it. Is there such an app? Thank you guys :D

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ntc3freak said:
Hey guys, I am new here :)

I'll be getting the new iPad in the summer when my current semester is over. I would like to use my iPad as my notebook in the next semester. I'm sick and tired of carrying lumps of heavy papers to and from lectures. So I'm looking for a note taking app that achieves the following :

- good handwriting capability ( I will only write by hand and not type)
- good choice of colors and ink and pen types, etc.
- ability to insert a pdf file in the current note I'm taking, even when the note already has handwritten notes
- ability to annotate pdf and scribble on it
- good choice of general shapes so I don't have to free draw them (lines, circles, rectangles, arrow, double arrows, etc.)
- the ability to record audio while I'm writing notes would be great as well
- good organization. I will be having one notebook for each subject, and for each notebook I would like to separate them according to Chapters and Exercises
- automatic sync and backup with Dropbox
- ability to cut and paste parts of a PDF file (does this feature even exist?)
- smooth handwriting experience and little to no lag
- normal functions like palm rest and zoom window
- optimized for left-handed usage (is there a difference?)
- ability to easily copy paste parts of my notes to another

I think that should be about it. Is there such an app? Thank you guys :D

That's pretty much what the rest of us are looking for. :) welcome aboard.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 3 using iPF

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just want a note taking app that I can either use the keyboard or write with my finger. Easy and simple, don't need any fancy stuff. Whats the best for that?

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you thought about Noteshelf by Ramki? I've been thinking about getting it myself, it looks really good.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dustrho said:
Have you thought about Noteshelf by Ramki? I've been thinking about getting it myself, it looks really good.

Try DocAs looks the same and they have a free version, IMO the best apps let you try before you buy.

"Post with pictures it helps everyone"

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What bugs me when I jot note on class with my ipad is the multi-touch function in IOS5. Even though the app has a palm rejection function, when my palm rest on the screen it registered as a 4 fingers swipe. It's so irritating!

I tried almost all of those apps but none of them seem to have a reliable palm rejection. I finally got to buy a physical handpad to solve that. If you guys got the sample problem, just try the stylus handpad. Simple goolge stylus handpad on google and you will find it.

There's usually a warning to turn gestures off before using the apps..

Anyway, it's easy to turn off in settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been using Noteshelf, and I can still use the app without being forced to disable the gesture feature. I'd be pretty upset if I couldn't use that, which is one of the many reasons why I like Noteshelf.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just started using Evernote to see why the fuss (or why does everyone recommend it). I get it now. It is a nice cross-platform app and I'm hooked.

Superteds34

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Beryl said:
Just started using Evernote to see why the fuss (or why does everyone recommend it). I get it now. It is a nice cross-platform app and I'm hooked.

Before you reach the point of no return Do try out Springpad - I have just gone back to that following a reminder note from them that I was a registered user before I found Evernote. It's simplicity after the Evernote complexity is nice. Worth a look! I am in no way connected with them.
Brian

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Beryl said:

You can say the same for GoodReader cross platform simple do everything app. However
For pure note taking sorry to say that the default IOS Notes App is the best IMO. It's quick to start, integrates with all iPad apps and if you use ICloud; you can share your notes on all apple devices. For example my wife an I share ICloud account. When I make a Note it instantly updates on her IPad, iPhone and my IPhone. Great for shopping list, directions, copy and paste important emails and reminders.
I've tried many replacements and have found for effectiveness the IOS Notes app is the way to go.

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you reach the point of no return Do try out Springpad - I have just gone back to that following a reminder note from them that I was a registered user before I found Evernote. It's simplicity after the Evernote complexity is nice. Worth a look! I am in no way connected with them.
Brian

Since I am a hooked on Evernote fan of Evernote, please describe the complexity of EN compared to SP? I do not believe EN could be any more simpler.

jfhey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Over the years I've collected thousands of txt-notes in several folders and subfolders.
I used to edit them with notesy and dropbox-sync between my iphone and ipad.

But now I'm looking for a more sophisticated option since the huge amount of notes is starting to get a little bit confusing ;)
A tree view like Meteor notes would be perfect, but the app doesnt do auto sync which I need.
So I guess I have to find a way to migrate my folder-structure into opml or microsoft onenote, and find an app that can import my notes, has an ipad and iphone version and does dropbox auto sync.
The only thing I need is basic text editing and the possibility to view the notes in a tree-like structure, the more options to sort and categorize, the better. Anything else like addig pictures and handwriting would be nice, but is not neccessary.
Anyone an idea?
Any help will be much appreciated!

Last edited:

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jfhey said:
Over the years I've collected thousands of txt-notes in several folders and subfolders.
I used to edit them with notesy and dropbox-sync between my iphone and ipad.

But now I'm looking for a more sophisticated option since the huge amount of notes is starting to get a little bit confusing ;)
A tree view like Meteor notes would be perfect, but the app doesnt do auto sync which I need.
So I guess I have to find a way to migrate my folder-structure into opml or microsoft onenote, and find an app that can import my notes, has an ipad and iphone version and does dropbox auto sync.
The only thing I need is basic text editing and the possibility to view the notes in a tree-like structure, the more options to sort and categorize, the better. Anything else like addig pictures and handwriting would be nice, but is not neccessary.
Anyone an idea?
Any help will be much appreciated!

You mention Microsoft OneNote, I use this on the pc and I use Outline+ on the iPad which uses Dropbox synch and works really well with complex notes , tested the MS OneNote for iPad but found the synch tedious at best.
There is a freebie Outline you can try first

Most reactions

Latest posts