What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
milkmilklemonade said:
Remarks was recently updated, and probably has the best and most fluid writing experience I've tried.

That includes noteshelf, note taker hd, notes plus, penultimate, noteability, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I don't know about that notability is pretty fluid. To me to top feature of notability is that you can import an entire folder from Dropbox. This is a big deal for me because I can work with several docs at work and then import all in one click. I can only import one at a time with others if at all

Attachments

• image-233309627.jpg
    image-233309627.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 363

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps the Mods from this junction could divide this thread for future postings into some workable categories, e.g., handwriting recognition, typing, writing without handwriting recognition, etc!

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know about that notability is pretty fluid. To me to top feature of notability is that you can import an entire folder from Dropbox. This is a big deal for me because I can work with several docs at work and then import all in one click. I can only import one at a time with others if at all

Notability is fluid - but remarks is liquidy fluid, and it feels like the tracking is better. I just reinstalled notability and wrote a few lines going from each app - there is a big difference.

Remarks responded to varying pressure better, which seems natural when writing. Sometimes a part of a letter will be less defined...notability (and others listed) don't recognize it and leave it off, while remarks recognizes it and draws it..I could even write the "&" sign accurate and fast with remarks, while notability made it...off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Layth

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a few 100+ page PDFs on Remarks, one of them is filled with annotations and never had problems. I feel like there are better note taking apps than Remarks, however I find that Remarks is the best note taking app in terms of PDF handling and annotations.

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided to go ahead and buy Remarks.

I agree that the ink is fluid, and the zoom function seems nice. The controls are simple, and anyone familiar with note taking apps will have no problem using it "right out of the box." I haven't tried pdf annotation yet, so can't comment on that feature.

Unfortunately, there are a few downsides. The controls aren't placed in the very best locations possible, and some operate in a way I find a bit awkward. For example, at least in the zoom mode, the eraser automatically toggles off after a pause. The biggest failing, though, is its extremely slow speed in completing operations other than writing strokes (which are fast).

As things stand for me right now, Note Taker HD is "Old Reliable" for handwriting and simple vector drawing, with Penultimate coming on strong. I still like Noteshel, but it has nowhere near the tools of the others. Good Reader remains my "go to" app fir pdf annotation, though that might change after I have tried that aspect of Remarks.

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love Goodreader for PDF.you can pin the options in the right side, then lock in the crop view and flick trough pages. Plus it allows one tap for word highlighting or underline so no "trying" to select the wor. If you need to annotate select the free hand option for quick notes (in page) and go to town.
the app is very ugly but it works.

Beryl

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is hard to read through a long thread like this to select an app. I suggested several pages back that a note-taking apps ratings chart would be helpful with key features. Here is a start:

App Name:
Handwriting recognition: (Y/N)
Multi-platform sharing support: Y/N (iOS, Windows, Android)
Online account support : Y/N (Dropbox, Google docs. etc)
Supported formats: (PDF, rtf, doc, etc.)
Security: Y/N (app password, 128bit encryption, etc.)
Compatibility: iPad HD, iPhone/iPhone, or Universal
Developer support: (email, phone, forum, none)
Price:
Other: (anything especially interesting about the app)

We can all contribute by reviewing apps we've tried using that list. Thoughts?

okpachu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ARDOTBEE said:
I need a good note taking app as well, I'm currently using notebook for iPad and it's working well for me.

That awesome

Sting67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been looking for a note taking app for sometime now. I've hesitated with most because of their lack of features for handwriting and dealing with varied file formats. I'm happy to say that my search has now stopped: Notability is by far the best and most functional that is currently available. It's currently at the cheapest sale price. Thus far I'm really happy with it and use it every day.

jamby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This thread is packed with valuable information. Thanks everyone!

I've got a blog with more details about what I use and how I use it (christophermayo), but to keep it short: I'd recommend Evernote for typewritten notes and Note Taker HD for handwritten ones (possibly 7 notes HD Prem if you are wanting conversion of English to text).

There are many factors to consider with typewritten notes, so I think what you choose ultimately depends on how you use the app. If you have a specific use case in mind, please post it here and we can give advice. I think general questions like "how is XX app?" are just too vague to be answered very well.

For handwriting, one thing I can say is that I would strongly recommend you do NOT use Penultimate. I bought that on the recommendations it got all over the place and was horrified by how my notes looked. I spent a really long time trying to like it. The user interface is great, but it looks like a kid drew with a blurry crayon when I export it to PDF. I hate the notes I took with it. The zoom feature on apps like Note Taker HD is so important for getting the handwriting to work well.

I have the idea in my head that I have to be able to type or handwrite notes in the same app. Is that realistic and if so which app would allow me to do it? Maybe I just want to add typewritten notes to a page I've written up. I am pretty basic. Write some notes, maybe draw basic symbols, use a little color. I guess it is possible I would paste or reference a photo on a page. Any advice?

zipur

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jamby said:
I have the idea in my head that I have to be able to type or handwrite notes in the same app. Is that realistic and if so which app would allow me to do it? Maybe I just want to add typewritten notes to a page I've written up. I am pretty basic. Write some notes, maybe draw basic symbols, use a little color. I guess it is possible I would paste or reference a photo on a page. Any advice?

Every app will allow typing and handwriting at a basic level. It's the finer points that hang people up for example.
Import/export features,
Annotate PDF documents
Import web pages or snippets, for example in real estate to draw flower placement
Free hand drawing
Shapes
Hand writing
Autocorrect
File & folder organization
Recording

Now when it comes to quality hand writing that is where things get sticky. Most people really care about the
Ink choices. This allow a more interesting note. It also is critical for iPad Art/drawing. For example try Paper by fifty three it's free to try. Great ink limited features.
All these apps use a handwriting box which you can free hand cursive write a note. This takes some time to get use to but it works, same with typing, a box will pop up and you can type away all you want.
But can you type anywhere? Can you type over imported pictures. Then lastly how Fast is the app, can it keep up with your finger or stylus, this is key to the accuracy and an enjoyable writing experience,

As you can see there is a lot to consider before you pluck down your $2.99 (avg). Then in two months the other apps have updated feature and options and your back here looking for the greatest.

All this typing just to say as a complete package Notability is what is on my iPad. For you I suggest you try some of the free ones to see if it's really is that important to...

fab.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think, also, it's important what's the way you take note (that's your style): I like arrows associated with typed taxt, someone may prefer freehand etc.
So, I'd like to see on the appstore an app like CmapTools.
Moreover I think capacitive screens have limits that old resistive scresns haven't.
Pen and (real) paper are difficult to win... but the digital way presents many advantages, you know.

reza15

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a wireless keyboard, but it's also a case to protect your iPad 2 and the new iPad (iPad 3 / iPad 2s) when you close it.

Most reactions

Latest posts