What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Whoa, I tried MyScript Memo and I'm a little amazed. I casually wrote a paragraph in my admittedly messy handwriting, did the export and it didn't miss a single word. This is far better than the WritePad engine. Kind of blew me away, if that's what is powering 7Note then I may have to purchase that.

iPad_fan.

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, actually the handwriting recognition engine of MyScript Memo is powering 7Notes.

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are confusing me lol

Well, what I want is more, deeper options of a notetaking/productivity app, with MyScripts engine. Would that be an accurate take on 7?

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Keeping in mind that I've only had the two apps for three days...

7 can do more than MM. You can save text within the app rather than having to export it. You can leave your handwritten notes unrecognized if you want, or recognize them later in a bulk procedure (however, handwritten notes are almost unreadably small; I was hoping to be able to combine text with drawings, but it's not really feasible).

The biggest advantage imo of 7 over MM is its ability to be used in landscape mode and its zoom window which allows you to write without smearing your hand all over the screen.

7's biggest drawback for me is its poor handling of text mixed with numbers and certain types of punctuation. It's unbearably slow and fiddly. MM does that sort of thing much better.

Cheers (and apologies to developers if I've misrepresented their apps in any way).

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here's another video of the byzero smart pen
The lady doing the drawing says they are also coming out with a pen that is pressure sensitive next year.

By Zero’s Studio Pen Shows Off With Chris Chavez Caricature

This pen looks pretty amazing, and with notesplus support it might be the best combo for taking notes.

For $150 it should be Gold Plated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Peteo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Luvntravln said:
For $150 it should be Gold Plated!

It's going to be $99 in the US which is about the same as other active stylus for other tablets

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Peteo said:
Here's another video of the byzero smart pen
The lady doing the drawing says they are also coming out with a pen that is pressure sensitive next year.

http://phandroid.com/2011/10/12/by-zeros-studio-pen-shows-off-with-chris-chavez-caricature/

This pen looks pretty amazing, and with notesplus support it might be the best combo for taking notes.

Interesting, but far too many demos of any stylus focus on sketching. I don't do any drawing at all, but I think that handwriting requirements are probably much more exacting. I am concerned about responsiveness to all possible stylus orientations, accuracy, and response speed.

I would be willing to fork out that kind of dough for an excellent stylus, but I would need te be assured that it delivers the goods before I do!

Last edited by a moderator:

dsathersly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One great note taking app I use all the time is called Notebook by a company called Circus Ponies. Notebook looks just like a paper notebook and lets you take notes while it records the speaker, so you have an audio record of the meeting (great!). I use it to organize client information and keep track of notes, PDFs, emails, proposals, everything. You can take notes, create diagrams, scribble on the pages. You can even add a PDF as separate pages in your notebook and then scribble and take notes on top of the PDF pages. It's really great having everything all portable and organized on my iPad. Definitely an app worth checking out!

guthrien

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I loved Circus Ponies on Mac but when I tried it on iPad it seemed crazy sluggish. Also, 30 bucks? That's insane.

Most reactions

Latest posts