What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
teheuti said:
I love Notability because I prefer typing to handwriting and the ability to indent for outlines, but I can still use a drawing or diagram on occasion. And rhe recording with text markers is just what I wanted. However, it's not quite perfect.

It still needs:
1) a camera function so you don't have to leave the app to take a picture of a whiteboard or display.
2) to be able to rotate a picture.
3) better image placement optiions as I can't place pictures side-by-side even if there is plenty of width available.

Thanks for a great program - I just recommended it on my blog for consultants who want to provide their clients with notes and a recording following a meeting.

I agree with 3 but not 1. I normally make images and save them to the camera roll with abandon as a means of swapping data around so a moment of instant task switching doesn't bother me so 1 isn't too important. You can continue recording audio in Notability while you are banging away in another app.

I agree with 2 but there is a work around. Locate the image in the saved roll, rotate the iPad, use your fingers to spread and crop the image then take a quick screenshots holding power and tapping Home. Insert the new image in Notability. Who said you needed cropping or rotating software?

A work around for 2 and 3. There is no law that you can not switch to Pages while recording audio in Notability and then use Apple Pages superior note taking and image media controls like mask. When finished make Pages full screen to hide tool bars etc., make screen shot of the whole shebang and drop that into your Notability masterpiece spreading the image to take-up a full page.

Think a little outside the box of old PC computer rules of one app for everything. BTW you can insert many PICTURES in Pages with a simple copy and paste from Safari and other apps. Hold you finger for several seconds or try double tapping your image to bring up a copy command. Both work at times.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

teheuti

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A work around for 2 and 3. There is no law that you can not switch to Pages while recording audio in Notability
I agree with all this (and thanks for the tip on rotating images in Photos). If I'm working on a longer project I might do all of your suggestions, but my ideal scenario is that I can record a session with a client, include typed notes and quick sketches or diagrams, and take a photo of the current state of our work/project, and then email it to the client as they are leaving and before my next client sits down. Notability is the closest I've come to having everything I need and doing it elegantly.

Anyone know of a better app for these purposes?

dannybarley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't need to use an app with such specification as you but to suggest a note taking app:

Penultimate is a good app, it let's you draw and hand-write words as opposed to typing them. However it is only for drawing/hand-writing and there are no facility to record, etc. You can choose a number of colours and thicknesses. The good thing is there is you can email yourself what you draw with no problems. It sends it as a full image with very crisp detail, when you print it off there is no silly Penultimate logo anywhere, just your notes! simple! I suggest having a look yourself as there are other little features. It's only 59p

Also Pages is good to type words and add and edit pictures. It can easily be exported as a .doc format and easily emailed to anyone if needed. obviously a bit more expensive but it does a lot more things and is worth the money.

Attachments

• image-4268369937.png
    image-4268369937.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Rzepkanut

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note taker hd is the best note taking app overall.

It has amazing camera support for iPad2 and it's very fast.

The smoothness and speed is important if you want an app that will keep up with you while in a meeting.

Bucco Bruce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Are there any apps for outlining with bullet points?

EDIT: Nevermind, found one.

Last edited:

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bucco Bruce said:
Are there any apps for outlining with bullet points?

EDIT: Nevermind, found one.

I know you said never mind, but just in case the one you found isn't Notability, check it out - it offers full outlining (bullet point, numbers, etc), fonts, audio recording, etc - absolutely awesome... By far the best typewritten-notes app I've found to date (by far).

Bucco Bruce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
I know you said never mind, but just in case the one you found isn't Notability, check it out - it offers full outlining (bullet point, numbers, etc), fonts, audio recording, etc - absolutely awesome... By far the best typewritten-notes app I've found to date (by far).

Thanks for the reply. That's actually the one I got! Really enjoying it so far. Also liking the autosave on it too.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bucco Bruce said:
Thanks for the reply. That's actually the one I got! Really enjoying it so far. Also liking the autosave on it too.

Yeah, I've tried ALOT of note-taking apps on the iPad and I've found that Notability is by FAR the best for typed-in notes. Also, the author is VERY open to new ideas and actually implementing them! Nice app updates are always coming out as well...

Svenster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jtrosky said:
Yeah, I've tried ALOT of note-taking apps on the iPad and I've found that Notability is by FAR the best for typed-in notes. Also, the author is VERY open to new ideas and actually implementing them! Nice app updates are always coming out as well...

I have been looking for a easy to use note taking app. I'm downloading Noteability now. Even on sale! Thanks for the reccommendation.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Notes Notes Notes

Is there a simple app that will sync typed notes in the iPad Note app with typed notes in ANY PC program?

Nothing fancy.

I currently make notes in the iPad app - actually lots of lists.

I also make notes/lists in - currently - word docx.

I can dump either; I can dump both.

Cost is not the issue - I want to be able to make and edit notes both on my iPad and in my PC and have them sync.

What do you suggest?

Thanks.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It depends on who you ask. Evernote, note taker, notes+. They all have their likes and dislikes. I went for all!

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Definitely evernote.

You can login from anywhere and have all your notes synced automatically.

Thanks, did you go with the Premium or just the basic?

So far it looks like what I need and I will be living in Evernote! :)

Exchanged some emails with the people that created Notability - while good for some, in the sync department they said:

[FONT=&quot]Notability supports RTF (mac and pc) and RTFD (mac) files formats. Files in these formats can be sent to your computer for further editing. Notability supports import of RTF and RTFD file formats.

This is a manual syncing process. You decide which files to upload and to import. You can import via Dropbox, iTunes File Sharing or email.

Online help files are included with the app.

Please note that some outlines created in Word cannot be interpreted by Notability at this time, and this is expected to get fixed in the future.

Notability does not currently support doc or txt files.

[/FONT]

This is too limited for me.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

Most reactions

Latest posts