What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best note taking app for iPad

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi I need a notepad that does copy and paste from safari + with pictures.any one help thanks

Neu.notes and Note Taker HD can both do this. They are pretty much the only apps I use on my iPad besides GoodReader and an extremely useful little app called Crop Suey.

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on whether you normally type-in your notes or if you handwrite your notes (using a stylus). If you type your notes in, Notability supports copy and paste from any app...

chowdown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've just revisited Penultimate and must say that the palm-protection is much better than I remember. So is the ink (but still not a patch on neu.Notes' ink!)

What puts me off Penultimate is lack of zoom and landscape mode.

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
chowdown said:
Neu.notes and Note Taker HD can both do this. They are pretty much the only apps I use on my iPad besides GoodReader and an extremely useful little app called Crop Suey.

You can copy pictures from a web page and paste into Safari or an email.
Just rest your finger a bit on the image until Safari offers you the option to copy or save to your photos.

In pages just paste and then use the normal image options. Add text to your picture by using the TEXT SHAPE found in MEDIA.
Copy images from video by using screen shot and then use the powerful MASK function on insetting the image into Pages. Do the same with Google maps and especially with Google street level view.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Peteo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any one notice iPad 2 seems to be "sticker" when using a Targus/box wave stylus?

When trying it in penultimate, notes hd and notetaker plus the stylus head gets a lot of friction from the screen. Didn't seem to do this on my iPad 1, though I did have a anti glair screen protector on it.

Anyone seeming the same issue?

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any one notice iPad 2 seems to be "sticker" when using a Targus/box wave stylus?

When trying it in penultimate, notes hd and notetaker plus the stylus head gets a lot of friction from the screen. Didn't seem to do this on my iPad 1, though I did have a anti glair screen protector on it.

Anyone seeming the same issue?

Like comparing apple and oranges if one of them has a screen protector on it. You will always see less friction if it has an anti-glare or matt screen protector.

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am currently switching between Upad & NotetakerHD. Both are GREAT apps & both have some excellent features - notably (no pun!) handwriting/stylus input - very smooth. I think Upad is the winner here as the zoom function is so intuitive that it is a joy to use whereas the zoom in NotetakerHD is a little clunky - ie it can be tricky to judge where to start a next letter when the screen moves over automatically. However, NotetakerHD has some really nice features like shapes which in use to create titles for my pages and graphics handling & I like file management although, I am worried about not having the option for folders when I start to generate a large amount of notes. Upad doesn't allow graphics to be placed into a draw/type file - you need to use a picture file for that - photo/graphic annotation is great with this but sometimes I want to include a snapshot of a worksheet or PDF I am using & this isn't possible.

Has anyone else struggled between these 2 very cool apps? What conclusions did you comes to? Why can't someone combine them to male the perfect note app? :)

NachoConQueso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just switched from Penultimate to UPad. It's very similar in how the writing feels, but has way more features. I've had difficulty working with PDFs where the writing would be very choppy, and UPad is the first one I've used that writes smooth over PDFs. Also, I like the wrist protection on UPad over Penultimate, not to mention working in landscape and nice zooming.

Im a biology student and we take insane amounts of notes so I think people would be happy with this one. It needs audio recording built in so I can stop using audiomemos.

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed re audio memos. & I would like to see the 3 UI's amalgamate - it seems weird to me that you can't paste a graphic in a drawing page - I think NotetakerHD is better there but I am really impressed with both of these apps - would love file management as well - I love the way that the list of pages looks in NotetakerHD but having a lot of pages/files would soon be an issue I think.

shanshuprophecy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Is there an app that makes it easy to enter complex equations?

I'm not sure that is a question best answered on this thread - perhaps do a search? I think most ppl here are looking at written notes - however I may e wrong & someone may have your answer - good luck.

jollywa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app that makes it easy to enter complex equations?

Are you looking to enter algebra equations? Calculus? Scientific equations?

I have not tried this one, but I did read about "Equation".

Here is a link to another one that I read about. I seems like it might require a bit of set up, but might be more what you want.

Using LaTeXiT to display math formulas

If you want to enter them by hand with a Stylus, then one of the handwriting apps might be better.

Most reactions