What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best media player for iPad 2

FruitJuice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anybody got a media player on the 2nd gen iPad yet?

There's 2 that have caught my eye one is Av player hd and the other is buzz

Which is the better one as I have read some media players wont play mkv files or are a little

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to say the Native video player, and only for one reason. It's the only one that hardware decodes the videos.

All other video players software decode, which can lead to some playback issues (choppy).

Additionally I experienced some stupid long backup times, because Itunes was backing up the app (I've tried oPlayer, CineX, and Buzz) plus all of the data associated with it (20GB+ of movies).

With the native video player and it's integration into iTunes, no need to back up the movies, they are all contained in the iTunes database, all it has to do is take note of what movies are loaded on the iPad in case it needs to reload them.

That being said...... I also hate the fact that the native Video player is so draconian. Open it up and let it play more formats Apple!

I currently use handbrake for all of my conversion needs. MKV to h.264 MP4

OP
FruitJuice

FruitJuice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say native player can you be more specific??? As for handbrake how long does it take to convert 1 episode of a HBO drama 50 mins

OP
FruitJuice

FruitJuice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HELP me please, what do I buy media player wise from app store?

heybutch1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SporkLover said:
I'm going to say the Native video player, and only for one reason. It's the only one that hardware decodes the videos.

All other video players software decode, which can lead to some playback issues (choppy).

Additionally I experienced some stupid long backup times, because Itunes was backing up the app (I've tried oPlayer, CineX, and Buzz) plus all of the data associated with it (20GB+ of movies).

With the native video player and it's integration into iTunes, no need to back up the movies, they are all contained in the iTunes database, all it has to do is take note of what movies are loaded on the iPad in case it needs to reload them.

That being said...... I also hate the fact that the native Video player is so draconian. Open it up and let it play more formats Apple!

I currently use handbrake for all of my conversion needs. MKV to h.264 MP4

+1. I'm using 'Air Video' to stream and / or convert to mp4 from my media server pc. Also using metaX to get all the correct titles etc. Looks great in native video player.

delrahim69

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love cinexplayer but also have VLC as a backup. Cinexplayer has problems with mp4 so those I loaf onto VLC. But cinexplayer handles 99% of my videos.

jetspeed8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too have the CineXplayer and it works for all my .mkv and .avi files. So far I have not had any problems with it. It sure beats converting all those files and putting them into iTunes.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use the stock Videos app since all of my videos are iTunes friendly. A lot easier this way.

VanHalen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you say native player can you be more specific??? As for handbrake how long does it take to convert 1 episode of a HBO drama 50 mins
I use Handbrake all of the time. For a SD episode I would say 20 minutes at the most. I am seeing SD movies take around 45 minutes. Blue-Ray takes longer.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
Especially the chocolate ones.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

I gotta have one of those!

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best Media Player for Ipad2

My favourite is AVPlayerHD, it sounds good and its the only one I have found that lets you organise your movies in folders - try it

Michael

Most reactions

Latest posts