What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best GPS app for iPad?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
It is going to depend on what you are using them for.

I have been using GPS devices for over 10 years now. My favorite all-around device was my Magellan Meridian Platinum. I have a Magellan Maestro 4250 in my car. The Meridian I used for sailing, hiking and geocaching. Still probably one of the most accurate out there.

I have had an in-car GPS for a few years already and it has never failed on me. It already has a mount and in-car power. For driving my car, I would stick with it. However it is not because I think the maps/gps would be worse with the iPad - I just don't want to have to find some crazy mounting device for the iPad.

As for the iPad, you get a nice, big, distracting screen. It really isn't a good size to sit on your dash unless you have a huge and high windshield, so you would be looking off the road to see the maps. For a one driver car, I would not recommend using the iPad simply for that reason. HOWEVER - the iPad will always have the most up to date maps available online, live with 3G. I would not recommend using the wifi-only iPad for anything but overview and "general area." A jailbroken iPad with the BT stack open, you can use a BT GPS puck.

Using the iPad as a door-to-door unit will work great with a copilot. I can also see uses for it for boating (get a good waterproof housing and solid mount) since looking down for short/medium time periods is not as critical as it is in a car.

For Geocaching - MotionX GPS is awesome. I recommend a good, solid case which can protect the iPad in case of drops and inclement weather and such. Does it do better than my Meridian? No, however being able to view cache details and the website while on the trail and not have to have a separate device or carry printouts is a definite plus. I definitely recommend it for Geocaching.

It really comes down to what you want to use it for and what you are willing to do to make the iPad a good GPS unit.

iPad Pros:
1. large, easy to read screen
2. always up to date maps - MotionX products allow you to download maps before getting on the road so you don't use 3G or have to worry about wifi.

iPad Cons:
1. large screen - not great for cars, trucks maybe. Special separate mount required either way.
2. not rugged without spending money on special cases.

A little extra planning and care is required for the iPad, but that is not a show stopper. Like I said, I use mine for door-to-door as the navigator and I use it for Geocaching and love it, especially with the 3G being able to update cache findings live.

OP
R

ramcclain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GPS/thank you

Your help was great, and appreciated. I finally added 3G today to use for a month and try, as was going out of town. I did use the maps app, and it really worked well for me, so maybe I don't really need a "gps". It was amazing using the 3g! Am so glad I waited for that.

Thanks again.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And in reality, the built-in Maps app works fine for the most part, you just cannot easily work with pathing and waypoints like you can in MotionX.

I was wondering about this too. Good to know and thanks for taking the time to post all you did! Very helpful!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your help was great, and appreciated. I finally added 3G today to use for a month and try, as was going out of town. I did use the maps app, and it really worked well for me, so maybe I don't really need a "gps". It was amazing using the 3g! Am so glad I waited for that.

Thanks again.

Good! I am going to try it now.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've been using 'MotionX GPS' Drive for a couple of months now. I liked it so much I paid extra to keep the voice navigation alive past the first 'introductory' month. I've even tucked my dedicated Magellan GPS unit away in a closet. It's iPad navigation all the way for me. What I like mostly is the screen size. Not many GPS units come with a 9 inch screen :)

Larry Hitchens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trying to following the discussions here. I have a 64G IPAD but no 3g and am looking
for a GPS app but not sure if it will work without 3g dedicated WIFI since this one is only WIFI when you can find a location with free WIFI available. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME
Thanks hitch

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Trying to following the discussions here. I have a 64G IPAD but no 3g and am looking
for a GPS app but not sure if it will work without 3g dedicated WIFI since this one is only WIFI when you can find a location with free WIFI available. ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME
Thanks hitch

I would have sprung for the 3G version if I had known the GPS would have worked without a 3G contract, we do not have ATT here son thought there was no need. I guess I thought the maps and that would have to come through the 3G. The GPS on my Verizon iPhone is great.

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks hitch

I just went through the same thing.... bottom line is if you want GPS, you gotta get a 3G model... you don't need a data plan, but the 3G model comes with Assisted GPS, while the wifi only models don't.

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/19867-ipad-wifi-gps-possible.html

My WiFi model wouldn't even download GPS apps because it didn't have A-GPS.

Most reactions

Latest posts