What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best book app?

canon714

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the best boo app? Ibook, kindle, nook?

Benefits? Are books cheaper on any of them?

Dee Ashley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofwags.com
I really like the Kindle app. There are so many free and inexpensive books on Amazon. I don't find the Nook application as friendly. And I reallly like that I can read my books on both my Kindle and Ipad2 and not loose my place; wifi takes me to my last page no matter which device I am on.

dpotter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I prefer to stick with apps that handle pubs directly. So far as I know, Kindle doesn't (?). IBooks does...

Of course if you use Calibre you can bridge the gap pretty easily...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
IMNSHO, the best e-book app is the one that'll read the e-book you've bought. Most of the readers are produced by companies that put DRM on the e-books to "protect" them (I think it's mostly to lock you in to their reader ... and so buy more books from them ... but I digress). This includes Amazon/Kindle.

So, you can't buy a Kindle book from Amazon and try to read it on iBooks, and vice versa.

My suggestion for the best reading app (since the app itself is free) is to buy your e-books from the cheapest place and then use the free app to read it. Well, that's what I do. YMMV.

For non-DRM protected books ... I don't have a preference (though I do find myself using Stanza a lot...).

Happy reading!

Marilyn

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
IMNSHO, the best e-book app is the one that'll read the e-book you've bought. Most of the readers are produced by companies that put DRM on the e-books to "protect" them (I think it's mostly to lock you in to their reader ... and so buy more books from them ... but I digress). This includes Amazon/Kindle.

So, you can't buy a Kindle book from Amazon and try to read it on iBooks, and vice versa.

My suggestion for the best reading app (since the app itself is free) is to buy your e-books from the cheapest place and then use the free app to read it. Well, that's what I do. YMMV.

For non-DRM protected books ... I don't have a preference (though I do find myself using Stanza a lot...).

Happy reading!

Marilyn

So if you buy a book in iBooks you have to keep using iBooks to purchase future books as they are not transferable to any other reader?

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Books purchased through iBooks can typically only be read in the iBooks application.

Books from other sources may be able to be read in iBooks if they are ePub or PDF format without their own DRM protection in place.

There are book readers for virtually every available format available.

-t

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
Books purchased through iBooks can typically only be read in the iBooks application.

Books from other sources may be able to be read in iBooks if they are ePub or PDF format without their own DRM protection in place.

There are book readers for virtually every available format available.

-t

UGGHHH. What to do?? Thanks.

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I buy e-books so that I have maximum flexibility in future, should I decide to switch hardware. I also want a bookseller that is likely to stay in business. That's why I buy from Amazon/Kindle. I don't buy from Apple because I don't want my books to be stranded if I switch hardware manufacturers.

Last edited:

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I buy e-books so that I have maximum flexibility in future, should I decide to switch hardware. I also want a bookseller that is likely to stay in business. That's why I buy from Amazon/Kindle. I don't buy from Apple because I don't want my books to be stranded if I switch hardware manufacturers.

Ahhh. Thanks!!

Sent from my Pink Hearts Sparkly Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts