What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best apps for working with PDF, Excel and Word files?

chiffchaff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
like many prevous posters, I use GoodReader for reading and annotating PDFs. I love the file management system it offers. I use Pages and Numbers for text and spreadsheet editing respectively. I'm very happy with the capabilities and import/export options of all three apps.

As for getting files on and off your iPad, you can do that with iTunes for Pages and Numbers, but from what I can tell most of us don't use that option (if you want to explore it anyway look for the file sharing boxes at the bottom of the apps tab when your iPad is connected to iTunes). Any of the cloud computing services available will work well for a variety of file types and seem to be the most common solution. I happen to use DropBox and love it. Also for a very simple, no purchase required option you can email docs to yourself. If you move a lot of files back and forth that will get tedious, though.

The-Shadow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I swear by Docs to Go. I do a lot of invoices and inventory reports using Excel spreadsheets and Docs to Go has been a champ.

I have used desktop versions of the iWork suite but can't speak to their iPad counterparts.

Krakrjaks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that doc to go doesn't have a very good rating In iTunes. Do you guys depend on these ratings very much?

R.J. Sent from my iPad using iPF

mdanjum30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the iWork apps, they are 9.99 each. I use ms offfice at work, I have not missed or lost functionality except maybe a couple of fonts. For PDF I went with ipdf. Welcome to the forum, u will love it. Everyone is great and very helpful.
hi ihad just listed my intention to purchase ipad and wanted to know the functionality of excel in ipad, please suggest whether i would be able to use options like filters in excel which i use frequently in ms office

mdanjum30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi do you use spreadsheets in ipad and r u happy with the functionality of ipad apps for spreadsheet for eg would you be able to use filter options of MS office as in our PC

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages, Office2 HD, and Docs to Go is the way to go for viewing/editing of docs, spreadsheets, or whatever.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader ... great app

GoodReader for iPad

iPad Only ★★★ INTRODUCTORY PRICE FOR A LIMITED TIME ★★★
If you're familiar with our iPhone version of GoodReader, then you'll love this iPad edition.

★★★ USB File Transfer on iPads is now officially implemented by Apple in iTunes!!! GoodReader offers full support for Apple's USB File Transfer ★★★

Congratulations! You've found the one and only Good Reader app for iPad! If you need to read huge PDF, or TXT files, you've come to the right place.

Within moments of downloading GoodReader, you'll be transferring files directly from your computer over a Wi-Fi connection, from the Internet or from email attachments. It also easily integrates with MobileMe iDisk, Google Docs, Dropbox, box.net, and other popular servers.

With the PDF Reflow feature, reading your documents is a pleasure because it extracts pure text from PDF files and automatically wraps words. This amazing feature fits all of the text to your screen perfectly. That means you never have to scroll left and right to read the text.

With no bars or buttons blocking the text, you have true full screen reading. The PDF hyperlink feature allows you to quickly jump back and forth within the document. Tapping a link will whisk you across a huge PDF book in an instant, and the "Go Back" button takes you back to the page you came from. If you already know what you're looking for, the Text Search feature helps you find your way to the exact info you want in any PDF or TXT file. You can even use the 50x zoom, which gives you a better view, without distorting the image. That makes it perfect for viewing PDF maps or drawings.

GoodReader supports massive PDF and TXT files, but it can also handle all of the most popular file types. Have a look for yourself:
• MS Office - .doc, .ppt, .xls and more
• iWork'08/'09
• HTML and Safari webarchives
• High resolution images
• It even does audio and video!

With GoodReader on your iPad, you can read virtually anything, anywhere. Books, movies, maps, pictures; GoodReader puts it all in a single app, right in your pocket. From the very first time you use it, GoodReader is sure to be the most used app you will ever buy.

Stay tuned, because we're always developing something new for GoodReader.

And by popular request - all extra features are free in this version of GoodReader! No extra charging. Fully functional for the listed price.

== LEARN MORE ==
Visit our web-site:
goodiware.com :: products

What's new

● added support for inter-app Document Sharing: other apps (including stock Mail app) can open their files in GoodReader; GoodReader can open its files in other apps which support Document Sharing
● minor user interface improvements

What a great writeup and explanation of GoodReader. Thanks.
This is a "Sticky" status writeup for sure, IMO.

Desmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Problem opening Word doc

I've tried to open a word doc using Goodreader, but it reports 'the file format is invalid'. Is there a setting or something I can tweak to allow it to open? I'm sure Goodreader should open doc files.

giaco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.companions-game.com
like many others before, i use good reader for viewing most of my docs or pdfs and other documents. it's easy to use and offers great bang for the buck.

pages is ok, but i'm not overly impressed by it. tables and other stuff regulary get f.. up if you try to export pages stuff to a windows pc.

zenonp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the iWork apps, they are 9.99 each. I use ms offfice at work, I have not missed or lost functionality except maybe a couple of fonts. For PDF I went with ipdf. Welcome to the forum, u will love it. Everyone is great and very helpful.
I just posted essentially the same question. I'd like to work on my Word docs using Pages, but iTunes will not sync DOC files -- says nothing on iPad can read them so does not sync them!

Batpad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zenonp said:
I just posted essentially the same question. I'd like to work on my Word docs using Pages, but iTunes will not sync DOC files -- says nothing on iPad can read them so does not sync them!

Get yourself a dropbox account. Then sign up a dropdav account. Link the dropdav account to dropbox you will then be able to add documents without having to use itunes

Sent from my iPad using iPF - The only stupid question is the one you don't ask

mdanjum30

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Batpad said:
Get yourself a dropbox account. Then sign up a dropdav account. Link the dropdav account to dropbox you will then be able to add documents without having to use itunes

Sent from my iPad using iPF - The only stupid question is the one you don't ask

Thanks that was really a simple solution to save my docs , spreadsheet to my system from iPad, great , thanks again that was helpful

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is a dropdav aaccount? I already have dropbox set up and working.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts