What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best APP for Home Security?

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I might get this one at Amazon.com. It's the only wireless cam that's reasonably priced and with good overall reviews:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-CXS-2200-wireless-installation/dp/B004GWQBWY/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301677131&sr=1-21]Amazon.com: Genuine LOFTEK Brand CXS 2200 pan(270)/tilt(120)wireless/wired Dual Audio Alarm Ip camera with day/night version,easy installation: Electronics[/ame]

I'm assuming that you can start out with one and then add more to different locations around the house at a later time? Would they all then appear on my iPad screen?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SYS said:
I might get this one at Amazon.com. It's the only wireless cam that's reasonably priced and with good overall reviews:

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-CXS-2200-wireless-installation/dp/B004GWQBWY/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301677131&sr=1-21

I'm assuming that you can start out with one and then add more to different locations around the house at a later time? Would they all then appear on my iPad screen?

Yep on both counts. For the latter, depends on the app you use. That's why I recommend Live Cams HD. They constantly update it with specific suitability for new cams all the time (there's quite a list). Just a great app. On it, I view all five of my cams (four are the same, one is different than the others), the neighbour's weather cam across the street and two more web-based cam views of my nearest town, down the hill from me.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

DM51

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do those cams actually link into the WiFi? I thought things had to be within WiFi range of the router to work. Is your neighbour's house quite close, or does the cam ship with some kind of repeater unit that receives its signal and is wired into your system?

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
DM51 said:
How do those cams actually link into the WiFi? I thought things had to be within WiFi range of the router to work. Is your neighbour's house quite close, or does the cam ship with some kind of repeater unit that receives its signal and is wired into your system?

You are correct that Wi-Fi devices need to be within range of a Wi-Fi router to work properly (that is, to be accessed). However, my neighbor's IP cam isn't close enough to my router to be accessible by me. As a Wi-Fi device, it COULD be "seen" by my wireless network and I COULD view through it directly IF it were close enough AND if it was open (unsecured/unlocked, not password-protected, etc.) for viewing. But it's not. In fact, his cam is WIRED directly to his own router: it's not even a Wi-Fi device. And it doesn't come with some kind of repeater that somehow transmits or receives a signal. Nothing of my neighbor's is connected to my system nor vice-versa, wireless or otherwise. Neither of us have access to each other's secured Wi-Fi network, even though one can "see" the other's network.

An IP cam is its own video server that is generally accessible using Internet Protocol (hence, "IP cam"), in that it can be pointed to and accessed via a URL or direct IP address from a web browser (or app). This is how people, like my neighbor, who are weather freaks with cams, can share with the world what weather is like in their neck of the woods on a web site (like Weatherbug, etc.). Ever see a web page with a cam in it? That view of a tree full of parrots in some guy's back yard in Florida is set up the same way as my neighbor's: a direct feed (still image refreshed every so often or active video) accessed by a URL link pointing to the camera view that is embedded into the web site you're visiting. That's all. You can right-click that cam image, select "properties" and get the URL address. Then you can copy and paste that address into a cam-viewing app on your iPad, which will then allow you to see the image from the cam without having to go back to that website to view it (perfectly legal provided the image is meant to be publicly accessed and you access it only for your own personal enjoyment and not for profit or re-broadcast to other people). That is, of course, if there is no secure linking or password protection in place for that camera access.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SYS said:

Video Link: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-CXS-2200-wireless-installation/dp/B004GWQBWY/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301677131&sr=1-21

Yep on both counts. For the latter, depends on the app you use. That's why I recommend Live Cams HD. They constantly update it with specific suitability for new cams all the time (there's quite a list). Just a great app. On it, I view all five of my cams (four are the same, one is different than the others), the neighbour's weather cam across the street and two more web-based cam views of my nearest town, down the hill from me.

Thanks, Michael. Just placed an order for the IP cam. When it gets here I'll order the Live Cam HD, as well. :)

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We sell DVR systems at our work, A BAsic 4 channel system to suit anoluge cameras.
sells for $450

the application we use this with is in the app store called IVMS4500

works great I use it every day to remote access my cameras.

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Okay, I finally got the Loftek IP cam, and I got it set up wirelessly in my house. I also got the Live Cam HD app on my iPad. So how do I get to see the IP cam views on my iPad using the Live Cam HD? What I see on the app is a bunch of live views from all over the world. How do I add my Loftek for my personal security purposes without making it public?

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to add a camera under Options.

Anyhow, for clarification, have you bought Live Cams HD, or Live Cams - HD?

The first one let's you add your own cameras, if the second does it as well, I don't know.

Hmmm... I thought there was only one "Live Cams HD".... Did I get a wrong one? In any case, the app that I got has the following menu options:

Search
Select
Manage
Setting
Help

Wrong app?

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I got it to work! Many thanks! I assume that I can now access the video footages from anywhere outside of my network as long as I have the access to wifi, right?

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Okay, I finally got the Loftek IP cam, and I got it set up wirelessly in my house. I also got the Live Cam HD app on my iPad. So how do I get to see the IP cam views on my iPad using the Live Cam HD? What I see on the app is a bunch of live views from all over the world. How do I add my Loftek for my personal security purposes without making it public?

I am gussing you need to enter an ip address in the app ?

If your on the local wifi at home You will need to enter local ip of camera.

for external use you will need to port forward to the local ip of camera, assuming you have assigned it an ip on same range as router.

once you have done this, you will need to use the external ip of you house to access the camera, so have two profiles, home and away etc.

if you dont have a fixed ip from your provider you will need to get one or use DYNDNS .

OP
S

SYS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Loftek camera that I purchased came with the manufacturer's DDNS. I assume I'd need this to be able to connect remotely from outside of my network, so what do I do now?

jakeLowe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
is there a yaw cam for mac?

I'm interested in getting some out door ip cams to monitor on my ipad but I'd like to get emails or some kinda audio notice if someone is on my property so I don't have to be looking all the time to know if someone is on my property.

Thanks

NVRENUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's harder than it sounds motion detection ca trigger with light change trees moving bugs flying past, it would be emailing you all day,

I just random check in during the day, if house alarm goes off then I connect to cameras .

Any reason you want ip ?

Ip camera is just an anoluge camera with ip module generally unless is mega pixel,
But mega pixel is a whole another ball game.

General a good little 4 ch dvr with anoluge cameras would-be fine and you can access dvr over net and see al your cams .
Cheaper too.

Sent from my iPad

Most reactions